REI Ascent Shocklight

With much anticipation, I purchased my poles - I am…

With much anticipation, I purchased my poles - I am totally disappointed and will be returning them with no mileage.

They seemed fine in the store, and I particularly liked the long grips. When I got them home and tried to adjust the length, one of the bottoms would not close. It just spun uselessly at various heights. We had not hyperextended it, but did to fix it - by delicately adjusting the mechanism to friction fit, it will grip. So, 3 out of 5 times, it has to be taken apart, twirled to the friction point and replaced and then MAY decide to grip. What a pain! I'm returning these.

Recommendation - don't bother with these toys.

I purchased these poles for my girlfriend as a holiday…

I purchased these poles for my girlfriend as a holiday gift. Trying to use them the first time, we discovered the upper section on one of them could not be locked in place to fix the length. I went to the store for an exchange, which was processed with no questions, and very quickly verified adjustability and lockability of both poles.

However, upon trying to readjust at home, we found that this pair actually had EXACTLY the same problem, truly unbelievable and completely out of line with REI quality. We are extremely disappointed in this product.

I just got back from a four-day backpacking trip and…

I just got back from a four-day backpacking trip and absolutley loved hiking with these poles. REI had them on sale and they have been a wonderful buy. The locking mechanism slipped only twice but the shocks frequently turned themselves on and off while hiking, which was a little anoying.

However, I was pleased that as a 200 pound guy that is hard on gear that I did not bend or break the poles, not even close.

So if they are still on sale, snatch them up, a good deal!

Once I figured out the locking mechanism, these have…

Price Paid: not sure

Once I figured out the locking mechanism, these have been wonderful, although occasionally it takes some patience to get them locked tight...once locked though, no slippage.

If you've owned or used a REI Ascent Shocklight, please share your experience.

REI Ascent Shocklight

The Ascent Shocklight has been discontinued.

The REI Ascent Shocklight is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 10, 2009 at REI.

If you're looking for a new antishock trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.