REI Camp Hut 4

In terms of price to performance, this is the best…

Design: Three-Season Freestanding Dome
Ease of Setup: Easy Set Up
Weight: 13 Pounds

In terms of price to performance, this is the best tent I own. I purchased it for a little over $100, and I took my two little kids camping at various national forest camp sites in Colorado. We were comfortable and really enjoyed the spacious headroom. I think that is where this tent really succeeds (and other REI tents like the Hobbitat). The headroom (about 5 ft 6 in) makes the tent truly livable.

Sure there are a number of 4-person tents out there, but when you have to withstand two hours or more of thunderstorms, can you live comfortably in the tent space? In this Camp Hut 4 you can. In the Colorado mountains you can expect thunderstorms (and vicious ones at that) to roll in around 3:00 and produce heavy torrential rain. I was totally impressed with the way this tent kept us all dry during all the rain storms.

On one trip I took my Sierra Designs Gamma 3 tent along for my daughter and I while my wife used the Camp Hut with our two younger sons at Ridgeway State Park outside Ouray, Colorado. In the SD tent, water pooled in the corners after hours of thunderstorms (which was fine given the storm's intensity and duration), but the Camp Hut stayed bone dry. For a tent that was about 1/2 the price, I was blown away.

If you are cost conscious about your next tent purchase but want a good tent for the money, I highly recommend this one. I think REI has discontinued this line to promote the Base Camp 4, but if you can get one of these tents at a REI closeout or used on Ebay, I highly recommend it. It is easy to set up and a good investment.

Our affordable, weatherproof REIĀ® Camp Hut 4 makes it easy to get away and enjoy the outdoors. Shockcorded fiberglass poles with locking pole tips for easy setup. Pole clips make setup easy and allow ventilation between tent body and rainfly. Rainfly with factory-sealed seams offers waterproof protection; designed with an eave to shelter the door. Mesh vents in ceiling provide chimney-style ventilation, preventing condensation. Coated oxford nylon bathtub-style floor with factory-taped seams is waterproof and abrasion-resistant. Mesh door and large rear window provide ample cross-ventilation; zippered coated nylon storm-panels cover door and window. Ceiling gear loops and four interior mesh pockets keep small items organized. Built to last, with double-sewn, bar-tacked seams. Includes stakes, guylines, tighteners and stuff sacks. Average minimum weight specification is based on tent, rainfly and poles only. Special buy.

REI Camp Hut 4

The Camp Hut 4 has been discontinued.

The REI Camp Hut 4 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 2, 2006 at REI.