REI Flash 65 Pack

I have put a couple hundred miles on this pack in…

Design: Top loading/ internal
Size: 65+ liters
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 42lbs
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I have put a couple hundred miles on this pack in the north Georgia mountains. This pack has compression straps in all the right places making it easy to compress bulky winter loads. the shoulder straps are easily adjusted on the go. The hip belt is padded all the way around the hips to the buckle so I don't have a strap digging into my hips and the hip belt is also easily adjusted on the go.

I can't say enough about the back support on this pack, it is well padded and ventilates well and sets well in the small of my back where in the past I have had problems with other packs. The huge front pocket on this pack has plenty of room for everything from my water filter and food to maps and sundries. The huge front pocket is also conected to side compression straps so I have storage behind the front storage pocket that is compressable. I use the space to put my jacket when it gets to warm to wear to give you an idea of the space back there.

This pack was an editors choice from Backpacker Magazine and I couldn't agree more that it was a well deserved award.
002.jpg

It is a solid pack. It is super light and it reflects…

Source: bought it used

Summary

It is a solid pack.

Pros

• Light

Cons

• Not enough places to hold things on the outside
  • padding

It is super light and it reflects in the padding, but for a couple of day trips it is the perfect tool. I have had this pack on week long trips and it gets a little tight for that, but the pack handled the weight. I did run into the problem of tight water bottle holders and not enough places to attach things to the outside.

For the price I feel like this pack is a great buy.

We got this pack for my daughter to use this backpacking…

Summary

We got this pack for my daughter to use this backpacking season. It was on sale and I had a 20% coupon so we were able to get it for $89. She was really pleased with it and said that it was very comfortable carrying around 35 lbs.

Pros

• Pack weight is really light
  • Handles 35 lbs of gear well
  • Attractive design

Cons

• Waist belt padding is not very thick
  • Shoulder padding isn't either

I was trying to find a 65L pack for my daughter (16 y/o) that wasn't too beefy.  I happened to see this one at REI when it was on-sale for $105 and since I had a 20% off coupon we decided to give it a try for $89. My daughter used it this summer on a couple of 3 day/2 night backpacking trips and found no complaints.

This pack is really lightweight and the hip belt/shoulder padding is pretty slight. I think if someone tries to over pack it, they may have issues with the padding being thin. She had about 35 lbs packed and that is probably the upper limit since this pack seems better suited for lightweight backpacking.

I'm curious how this pack will hold up over time. As indicated above, in order to achieve the lighter weight it uses lighter materials. She's not too rough on her gear and only goes backpacking a couple of times a year so I think it will last her for quite a while. For someone who's out a lot or is rough on their gear, you may want to consider something a little more durable.

REI Flash 65 Pack

$169.00 (men's)

The REI Flash 65 Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 4, 2013 at REI.