REI Flash 65 Pack

We got this pack for my daughter to use this backpacking…

Summary

We got this pack for my daughter to use this backpacking season. It was on sale and I had a 20% coupon so we were able to get it for $89. She was really pleased with it and said that it was very comfortable carrying around 35 lbs.

Pros

• Pack weight is really light
  • Handles 35 lbs of gear well
  • Attractive design

Cons

• Waist belt padding is not very thick
  • Shoulder padding isn't either

I was trying to find a 65L pack for my daughter (16 y/o) that wasn't too beefy.  I happened to see this one at REI when it was on-sale for $105 and since I had a 20% off coupon we decided to give it a try for $89. My daughter used it this summer on a couple of 3 day/2 night backpacking trips and found no complaints.

This pack is really lightweight and the hip belt/shoulder padding is pretty slight. I think if someone tries to over pack it, they may have issues with the padding being thin. She had about 35 lbs packed and that is probably the upper limit since this pack seems better suited for lightweight backpacking.

I'm curious how this pack will hold up over time. As indicated above, in order to achieve the lighter weight it uses lighter materials. She's not too rough on her gear and only goes backpacking a couple of times a year so I think it will last her for quite a while. For someone who's out a lot or is rough on their gear, you may want to consider something a little more durable.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Flash 65 Pack versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Flash 65 Pack. Read all reviews »

REI Women's Flash 65 Pack

The REI Women's Flash 65 Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 4, 2013 at REI.