REI Kilo Expedition -20

Great bag for the price. I recently moved to Alaska…

Design: Long

Great bag for the price. I recently moved to Alaska and needed a good cold weather bag. I have a couple of "top of the line" down bags but they are 3 season bags and I really like them both. The cost for a cold weather bag made by the same company as my summer bags are really quite pricey and after the move I really could not spend $750 so I went to REI in Anchorage and really liked the Kilo expedition.

I have used it two nights now with temps around 15 F and it is too warm. The zipper lets you expand the bag which really helps. It is light weight and for a winter bag stuffs down nicely. The shell is water resistant and it comes with a compression sack. I am sure it will meet all my needs and if it does not it is easy to return it to REI with their great return policy.

I went with a -20 because I wanted a guarantee of…

Price Paid: retail

I went with a -20 because I wanted a guarantee of good rest at 0. This bag is warm. I think it is a good value too. I would have gotten 0 degree synthetic, but I couldn't get one to fit in pack bag bottom. Since down picks up moisture along the way, I wanted something that picks up moisture, but still have plenty of loft left. I like this bag.

I had been eyeing a down bag for some time, but was…

Design: mummy
Fill: 800 top / 700 bottom
Temperature Rating: -20 F
Weight: 3.0 lb

I had been eyeing a down bag for some time, but was afraid that I could get into trouble in case I got stuck in unpredictable wet weather. I read up on many bags, but finaly I decided that this REI bag would fit my needs specialy with its waterproof shell (gelanots) not as good as gore-tex but mighty good, since bags are usually in a tent the moisture is minimal.

I was able to test this bag in Yosemite this Easter Weekend. The weather was cold and the snow base was ~ 4-5 feet up towards Glacier Point, but since spring is here the clouds brought some rain during one of the mid to late afternoons. We set up camp about 6 miles from Glacier Point and hiked for about 3-4 hours to reach the overlook. On the way back the weather turned sour, rain started to pour and I was carrying the KILO in my bag in case of an emergency. It rained for about an hour and then the snow came.

Camp was prety wet when we got back and the only dry place was my REI Morph tent. The Kilo was damp on the outside. I placed it on the pad and left it there to see it just loft up. The rain and snow medly came consistently all night and sometimes with sleet. I was warm all night no cold spots and I even placed some wet socks to dry inside the bag, but they were too wet. The bag did very well, it's very soft and comfortable, the loft is 6++++ inches.

With smart goose down insulation distribution and a waterproof shell, this cold-weather bag is warm, weatherproof, and very compressible. Goose down is efficiently distributed for maximum warmth and comfort—800-fill-power goose down on top and 700-fill-power goose down underneath. Ultralight nylon shell features Gelanots® waterproof, breathable coating for superior weather protection. Vertical Baffle construction lets the goose down remain fully lofted and keeps it from shifting and migrating, preventing cold spots. Vertical Baffles also prevent down from shifting to the sides and keep more down on top of the bag where it keeps you warmer. Exclusive dual Regulator zippers adjust temperature as needed—fully close both zippers to increase warmth, open inner zipper to decrease warmth. Multi-chambered hood and contoured, insulated draft collar seal in heat; trapezoidal foot box increases comfort and provides more space. Relaxed fit from hip to knees increases comfort by providing space to move around in. Includes nylon stuff sack and large cotton storage bag.

REI Kilo Expedition -20

The Kilo Expedition -20 has been discontinued.

The REI Kilo Expedition -20 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 12, 2010 at REI.

If you're looking for a new cold weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.