REI Liberty Ridge Expedition Gaiters

I should have done some more research before I bought…

I should have done some more research before I bought these gaiters. The materials and durability are what give these any stars. Fit and ease of use account for the low rating.

I have used these for various activities ranging from search and rescue missions to snowshoeing and the materials have held up to abuse and for the most part kept me dry.

My problems have been with the drawstrings at the top of the gaiters. In order to keep the gaiters from sliding down your calf and resting above your ankles you need to pull the drawstring to an uncomfortable tightness. Even then the gaiters tend to slide down the leg. Each time I use them I end up needing to readjust the fit every 20 minutes.

Overall I am not impressed with these and am looking for replacements.

Suited for technical mountaineering and backcountry adventures, these are our best gaiters for demanding conditions. Upper section is made from REI Elements®/nylon laminate fabric, adding waterproof and windproof qualities while remaining breathable. Abrasion-resistant Hypalon® coated nylon lower section is rugged yet flexible, withstanding repeated contact with rock and ice. Water-resistant zippers with snaps for security; storm flap and drawcord closure at the top seal out snow and scree. Durable, adjustable instep straps beneath your boots help anchor the gaiters in place. Includes an extra strap for easy replacement in the field.

REI Liberty Ridge Expedition Gaiters

The Liberty Ridge Expedition Gaiters has been discontinued.

The REI Liberty Ridge Expedition Gaiters is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 28, 2008 at REI.

If you're looking for a new gaiter, check out the best reviewed current models.