Awesome bag, once you've got the bag adjusted properly.

Awesome bag, once you've got the bag adjusted properly.

it held all of my gear plus half my kids' gear for a weekend trip to CNF.  In the summer.

I used this pack for the first time this summer for…

Design: top loading internal
Number of Pockets: 1 main, several other small
Max. Load Carried: 55 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 10"

I used this pack for the first time this summer for a week-long backpacking trip in the Wind Rivers of Wyoming. It worked very well for me. My fully-loaded weight at the trailhead was 55 lbs. I had some room to spare. There are certainly more sophisticated pack designs out there; but this pack is reasonably light, combines a nice set of features at a great price. It's well designed and well built. It carried my 55 lbs pretty comfortably. Much better than my old Lowe Expedition pack.

'Pluses' include a great waist-belt design and daisy-chain style exterior lashing points that allow for great flexibility. I also loved the small zip pockets at the hips behind the waist belt. These were great for stashing sundries, snacks and small camera - all readily available at any time. The main compartment is has a divider for a sleeping bag compartment, but I don't bother with it. The top pocket is large and flapped around on me a bit. The front external pocket was a nice. The shoulder straps are a bit narrow for my tastes and not super-well padded. I was getting a bit of discomfort at the end of my longer trail days - not too bad though.

Overall, this pack fit me, and my needs, well. Just as well as several of the (far more expensive) packs I tried from other brands. It's a pretty basic design that worked well. It might not offer all the bells and whistles that some of the others did, but it gets the job done admirably.

I absolutely love this pack. Granted, I have only…

Number of Pockets: 6
Max. Load Carried: 45 Lbs.
Height of Owner: 6' 1"

I absolutely love this pack. Granted, I have only been renting packs before this one, so having it fit me well is a big step up. I’ve used it quite a while now and with the longest trip being 3 days the volume is more than enough for me. The hip belt fits and holds well and the load, if packed properly, rides like a dream. I haven’t been easy on it by any means and it has held up to the abuse like a champ, very durable. I do agree that the lid could attach better and more compression would be nice, but aside from than I have no complaints.

Overall the pack work very well. I did encounter some…

Design: Internal
Size: 3500 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 1 main, with sleeping bag compartment, and seperate top. Front load pockets

Overall the pack work very well. I did encounter some design flaws though. The brain doesn't have front straps; it connects diagonally and this is very impractical. The brain doesn't become a day pack if you detach it. I also noticed the "sleeping bag" compartment couldn't even fit a winter sized bag.

I liked this pack though because it was really durable. I took it on multiple week expeditions and it help up fine. It's pretty waterproof. I like the feel of this pack because it mounts high on the shoulders but keeps the weight low on your hips.

I recommend this pack for 5-day trips, nothing more due to size restraints. I enjoyed this pack also, but I can't forget how many improvements this pack could use.

REI Mars Pack

The Mars Pack has been discontinued.

The REI Mars Pack is not available from the stores we monitor.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review