REI Mistral Jacket II

This is my favorite jacket. Love this jacket! It certainly…

This is my favorite jacket. Love this jacket! It certainly lives up to its description. What I like most about it is its comfort. Fitwise, it moves very easily with you. Temperature wise, it is suitable across a pretty decent range of temperatures due to its wind resistance. It handles my needs 95% of the time (Southern California resident). Appearance wise, it works across a decent range of clothing styles since I bought it in black.

I have also used it as a wind-blocking mid-layer while snowboarding. Its slippery outer surface worked well with my shell because it did not bind. The windproofing was a nice advantage, but it could have provided a bit more insulation. Finally, its small size allows it to pack well.

If I could improve this jacket (i.e., Mistal III), I would add just a tad more insulation and make it water repellant. Finally, it seems to retain wrinkles after its first wash. Wish I could prevent it from wrinkling.

If you've owned or used a REI Mistral Jacket II, please share your experience.

REI Mistral Jacket II

The Mistral Jacket II has been discontinued.

The REI Mistral Jacket II is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.