REI Mistral Jacket II

This is my favorite jacket. Love this jacket! It certainly…

This is my favorite jacket. Love this jacket! It certainly lives up to its description. What I like most about it is its comfort. Fitwise, it moves very easily with you. Temperature wise, it is suitable across a pretty decent range of temperatures due to its wind resistance. It handles my needs 95% of the time (Southern California resident). Appearance wise, it works across a decent range of clothing styles since I bought it in black.

I have also used it as a wind-blocking mid-layer while snowboarding. Its slippery outer surface worked well with my shell because it did not bind. The windproofing was a nice advantage, but it could have provided a bit more insulation. Finally, its small size allows it to pack well.

If I could improve this jacket (i.e., Mistal III), I would add just a tad more insulation and make it water repellant. Finally, it seems to retain wrinkles after its first wash. Wish I could prevent it from wrinkling.

Our Mistral II jacket has been updated with a lighter weight material—wear it for your active outdoor adventures and your urban outings as well. A great choice for cool summer nights, mornings at altitude or a transition piece for spring skiing and fall climbing and hiking. Polartec Power Shield® lightweight fabric has a woven nylon face that sheds light rain and snow, is durable, wind-resistant and very breathable. Soft velour fleece inner face traps body heat for added warmth. Power Shield lightweight also has two-way stretch comfort, wicks moisture and a great hand. Two mesh-lined hand pockets and chest pocket have reverse-coil zippers for added abrasion resistance; zipper hoods protect zipper heads. Stand-up collar is lined with brushed tricot for softness against skin. Drop-tail hemline is a bit longer in back for good coverage; elastic drawcord exits into hand pockets for easy adjustment. Streamlined, athletic fit. Closeout.

- REI refers to the men's version

REI Mistral Jacket II

The Mistral Jacket II has been discontinued.

The REI Mistral Jacket II is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.