If I ever needed another pair of hiking boots I would…

Materials: Uppers: Nubuck leather, Cordua nylon panels. Benecke toe bumpers, reflective webbing, sticky rubber outsoles
Use: dayhikes on soil or rock, rough trail with heavy pack
Break-in Period: 1 weeks, if including a water soak
Weight: 2 lbs, 2 oz

If I ever needed another pair of hiking boots I would want these again.

I purchased these boots Fall 2006, broke them in for a backpacking trip and have been hiking and backpacking with great foot comfort ever since. Now I am looking for similar boots for my kids so they too will have happy feet on the trails!

After 4 years of heavy duty wear, the soles still grip slopes and loose soil securely ("Sticky rubber outsoles provide sure-footed traction on the trail"). After getting really dirty they wash off very nicely and dry fast. I find I need to scotch guard them every year to stay waterproof now.

The rubber along the sides are coming away from the shoe a bit, but not a problem so far. Another reason these are so comfy are the cushy, nice fitting liners ("EVA midsoles with shock-absorbing Air Cushion heel pockets have 3/4 length Texon midsole supports and steel shanks for cushioning and support") and really light weight.

I wear 7.5 women's wide and my boots weigh just 2 lbs. 2 oz. I am an overweight, 50 + age woman who would not be doing half of the hiking and backpacking I do now without these great boots. I hope the Monarch III are also this good.

Made exclusively for REI by Merrell.