REI Monarch II

If I ever needed another pair of hiking boots I would…

Materials: Uppers: Nubuck leather, Cordua nylon panels. Benecke toe bumpers, reflective webbing, sticky rubber outsoles
Use: dayhikes on soil or rock, rough trail with heavy pack
Break-in Period: 1 weeks, if including a water soak
Weight: 2 lbs, 2 oz

If I ever needed another pair of hiking boots I would want these again.

I purchased these boots Fall 2006, broke them in for a backpacking trip and have been hiking and backpacking with great foot comfort ever since. Now I am looking for similar boots for my kids so they too will have happy feet on the trails!

After 4 years of heavy duty wear, the soles still grip slopes and loose soil securely ("Sticky rubber outsoles provide sure-footed traction on the trail"). After getting really dirty they wash off very nicely and dry fast. I find I need to scotch guard them every year to stay waterproof now.

The rubber along the sides are coming away from the shoe a bit, but not a problem so far. Another reason these are so comfy are the cushy, nice fitting liners ("EVA midsoles with shock-absorbing Air Cushion heel pockets have 3/4 length Texon midsole supports and steel shanks for cushioning and support") and really light weight.

I wear 7.5 women's wide and my boots weigh just 2 lbs. 2 oz. I am an overweight, 50 + age woman who would not be doing half of the hiking and backpacking I do now without these great boots. I hope the Monarch III are also this good.

Made exclusively for REI by Merrell.

Lightweight, breathable and supportive, these are an excellent choice for day hikes and general outdoor wear. Uppers feature nubuck leather for durability and support, plus rugged Cordura® nylon panels for enhanced breathability and reduced weight. EVA midsoles with shock-absorbing Air Cushion® heel pockets have 3/4-length Texon midsole supports and steel shanks for cushioning and support. Bellowed tongues and padded ankle collars enhance comfort and help keep out trail debris. Sticky rubber outsoles provide sure-footed traction on the trail. Made exclusively for REI by Merrell.

- REI refers to the men's version

REI Monarch II

The Monarch II has been discontinued.

The REI Monarch II is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 22, 2007 at REI.