REI Otto Spring Gaiters

You get what you pay for with these poor fitting,…

Summary

You get what you pay for with these poor fitting, minimally adjustable gaiters. After using them two or three times, I'm ready to try a different brand.

Pros

• Priced less than other gaiters sold on the shelf at REI
  • Velcro stays sealed

Cons

• Virtually non-adjustable
  • Uncomfortable
  • Hard to put on

On the store shelves at REI, the Otto Spring Gaiter is sized either S/M or M/L. That seems to be the norm (please comment below if you have seen otherwise). However, there is no way to adjust these to fit.

You slap the velcro together and you hike. The immediate problem, as you can see, is that calves come in all sizes, and there can be a big range between Medium and Large. As you can see in my video, the limitation doesn't work:

I should point out, I was wearing M/L. The S/M would not fit around my calf in the store.

Another con to this product is they are difficult to put on. With other gaiters, I'm able to slip my foot right into the foot strap. The Otto Spring Gaiters required me to grab the foot strap and slide it into placeā€”not a task I enjoy on multi-use trails full of horse manure.

Summary:

Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Visit REI's Otto Spring Gaiters page.

REI Otto Spring Gaiters

The REI Otto Spring Gaiters is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new gaiter/overboot, check out the best reviewed current models.