REI Passage 2 Tent

It's a very easy standard tent and it just works well.

Summary

It's a very easy standard tent and it just works well.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Lighter than other in its class
  • Good sized vestibules
  • 2 doors

Cons

• Heavy for hiking solo
  • Packs a bit bulky

This is a great standard tent. After much agonizing research I realized at this price point there is no better tent — it's relatively light for its class, it's easy to set up, and it's very difficult to set up wrongly.

I may one day go for an ultralight to shed some pounds, but for now, this tent does me just fine. Plenty of room for one person to stretch out and store gear, just enough room for two to sleep.

Durability seems to be no problem.

Welcome to Trailspace, T Clark.

This is a solid freestanding, three-season tent that…

Summary

This is a solid freestanding, three-season tent that fits two people with ease. It's lightweight, breathable, and compact—perfect for all your backpacking and camping needs.

Pros

• Easy setup
  • Light
  • Packs small

Cons

• Small inside

I got this tent on sale hoping it would make me go hiking more, and honestly it has. The first time I used it was with a college friend after driving to Mammoth Caves for a night. We got in late, and I was a little worried about getting the tent up and ready before it got too dark. The first time I opened the stuff sack, everything was neatly in place and easy to find. I'm usually not the best with tents, but had no problem with this one. The poles were easy to attach and everything fit together well.

Inside the tent, there was plenty of head space and legroom. We both had plenty of room to spread out and sleep, although we were travelling with a car, so didn't have everything in the tent. With backpacks or supplies, it might be a little more squished. Also, I'm 5'0", so take the “plenty of legroom” with a grain of salt – I don’t need as much as most people. Regardless, the guy I was travelling with said he didn’t experience any discomfort and had plenty of room too.

Since then, I’ve used this tent several times hiking in national parks for a night or two at a time. It’s very compact and easy to put in my hiking backpack or attach to the bottom. I haven’t used this tent in every weather condition, but it deals with light rain very well. It doesn’t come with a ground tarp or raincover, so I was a little worried about hat, but no wetness has every gotten in while I was using it.

This tent is extremely easy to move as well if you decide where it was placed is a little uncomfortable once you lay down. It stays taut once un-staked, and can be carried whole to a new location. Overall, I’ve had no complaints about this tent, and it’s worked perfectly for all my uses. It doesn’t show any significant signs on use so far, and I’m planning to give it a little more wear and tear this summer, but I can’t imagine it won’t hold up well. I think this tent has been perfect traveling with friends, as a couple, or I would imagine for several children.

Sturdy tent for a good price. Great for camping and…

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: $80 used

Summary

Sturdy tent for a good price. Great for camping and backpacking. Warm on cold nights (with rainfly) and cool on hot nights (without rainfly).

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Long, spacious
  • Warm
  • Easy to set up

Cons

• Heavy (if carrying solo)

Great tent! Sturdy, free standing design is easy to move around without having to dismantle it. Great for 2 people or 1 person with gear inside (which isn't necessary due to the large vestibules provided by the rainfly). Inside has small netting storage pouches as well as a gear loft.

I used this tent on a snow camping trip and did not even know it had snowed until I got out of the tent, thanks to the excellent rainfly. On summer nights, without the rainfly, you get a great view of the stars. Long enough for tall people (I'm 6'6") and warm enough for cold nights.

Best used for car camping and backpacking, although it is a little bit heavy to carry on your own.

All in all, a solid tent that I recommend to all of my friends.