REI Passage 65

This backpack isn't just for kids! Better than most…

Summary

This backpack isn't just for kids! Better than most adult packs I've tried.

Pros

• super durable
  • adjustable
  • perfect fit
  • sizeable compartments
  • nice padding

Cons

• weight
  • flimsy sleeping bag compartment

I'm not easy to fit with a pack. My broad shoulders mean that the straps on most women's packs cut into my neck, and the length of my torso is just a bit too short for men's small packs. When I told this to the trusty weekend warrior/REI employee that was trying to help me purchase what is now my 3rd pack in 2 years (I just couldn't get any of them to fit right or they'd end up falling apart too quickly), he told me he had just the thing if I'd keep an open mind and not be insulted by his suggestion of a "kid's" pack.  I told him to bring it on and this adjustable youth pack just did the trick.

It really has everything you could want in a pack (if you're a tried and true ultralighter you will not like the weight though). The side pockets are nice a roomy, the top comes off for a day pack/waist pack that actually works really well and can hold a 2L bladder.

The sleeping bag compartment (and the divider between it and the rest of the bag) is a little less than top-of-the-line, but it does its job. The compression straps worked well and the front pocket is very useful (why have so many expensive adult packs done away with these?).

I've only taken it out twice, each for a 2-night, 3-day trip, but it was more than enough space and my back, shoulders, and hips were happier than they've ever been. And what with the price... skip those spendy trendy packs and go with a pack you'd never even consider because it is labeled "youth."

Visit REI's Passage 65 page.

The REI Passage 65 pack is perfect for Scouts and other kids ages 11 - 17 who love backpacking. It uses the same quality materials and design as adult packs for great comfort and performance.