REI Pinnacle 35 Pack

Great pack for rock climbing or other alpine adventures.

Summary

Great pack for rock climbing or other alpine adventures. It is also comfortable on long outings.

Pros

• Well placed tie-downs and gear loops
  • Roll top closure is easy and fast to use
  • Good Price

Cons

• New color scheme is somewhat ugly
  • Heavy

I initially didn't think I would like this pack.  I waiting until it went on mega sale to purchase it as I wasn't sold on the roll top closure.

It turns out the roll top is actually much more functional that a regular lid for a climbing pack. I am able to get all my gear in and out easily.

The packs fits fairly well and the shoulder straps and hip belt are padded sufficiently. I wouldn't throw a 100lb load into it, but they work well for what they do.

35 L is about right for this type of pack.

The roll lid and side zipper make it fairly straightforward to get at the gear you want.

The material it is made from is pretty durable so long life shouldn't be an issue.

Overall, I would recommend this pack if you can stand the color.

Daniel, is it the brown/orange or blue/yellow color scheme? I'm also wondering if you could post a pic of the roll top you referred to. Would love to see that.

Amazing alpine pack. This is a great pack for the…

Summary

Amazing alpine pack.

Pros

• small
  • durable
  • great crampon pouch

Cons

• heavy

This is a great pack for the alpinist or the crag climber. This pack feels great with a 20-40lb load. The Pinnacle 35 has a snack pouch on the right side, and a gear loop on the left.

I was about to shy away from the roll top enclosure, but it turned out to be an advantage to this pack. With the roll top you can vary the size of the load well. The top straps keep a rope and the internal gear loops keeps cams and stoppers organized.

For the winter climbers, the side compression straps run long enough to keep snowshoes, and the crampon pouch is large enough to keep crampons and a medium weight jacket.

The durable design has one obvious drawback, and that is the weight. I was willing to sacrifice a little bit of weight for a versatile and functional pack.