REI Salix Jacket

I bought this jacket because it had a very rare combination…

Fabric: REI Elements outer
Fill: PrimaLoft

I bought this jacket because it had a very rare combination of attributes. Water resistant, moderately insulated, and had an insulated hood. Conceptually, this was the perfect jacket for me.

However, the sizing of this particular jacket is a bit odd. The large, which is what I usually wear, was very baggy around the midsection. It's almost as if the cut of this jacket is made for a large beer belly.

The medium fit me perfectly in the midsection, but the shoulders are a little restrictive. It's a trade-off that I'm not accustomed to.

The styling is very bland and odd. But functionally, it is a great product, which is why I will keep it. I do, however, wish I could unzip the jacket from the bottom up as well as top down.

Visit REI's Salix Jacket page.

The men's REI Salix jacket is a backcountry shell that offers full-on coverage that can stand up to severe weather-it's waterproof, windproof and insulated. The rugged shell fabric is a special breathable polyester that's waterproof and windproof up to 60 mph. For added protection from the cold, the jacket is insulated with PrimaLoft(R) Eco fill, which is ultralight and thin, yet water resistant and very warm. The hood has multiple adjustments; the collar is lined with soft tricot. Outer zippers are water resistant; front zipper has a stormflap and a chin guard. Cuffs have adjustable tabs and inner cuff gaskets; adjustable hem drawcord also helps retain warmth. The men's REI Salix jacket has zip hand pockets, zip chests pockets and an inner zip chest pocket with a cord port.

REI Men's Salix Jacket

The REI Men's Salix Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 11, 2014 at REI.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.