REI Saturn Pack

I love this pack. I purchased it 5 or 6 years ago…

I love this pack. I purchased it 5 or 6 years ago and it's been my primary pack for any overnight-or-longer trip ever since. It's logged probably 70+ nights in the backcountry with me, in conditions ranging from alpine mountains to wet east-coast forests to southwestern desert.

The pack rests comfortably on my back and has never given me any problems with irritation to my shoulders or waist, where it straps on. On-the-fly weight adjustment is easy, with weight transferring from hips to shoulders and vice versa with quick pulls on the appropriate straps.

The bottom of the pack is a perfect size for carrying a bear vault, if you're into that kind of thing, and the zippers are located such that your gear is easy to access even from the bottom of the bag.

The only issue I've had with this pack is the chest strap. It had a tendency to ride up and start pressing uncomfortably close to my neck until it popped entirely off the pack a year or two ago. Losing the strap has actually been a positive. I find I generally don't need it anyway, and when I do, I simply use a piece of cord to rig up an equally effective temporary strap.

My pack is my oldest piece of gear, probably the most beaten up, and among the cheapest. I always think of trading it out for a new, fancier pack, but I just can't seem to justify it. This pack is durable, relatively lightweight, comfortable, and-- with a generally minimalist but not totally so set of gear-- capable of carrying supplies to last me for the duration of long trips into the backcountry.

Too bad they don't make it anymore!

The REI Saturn internal frame pack is built for multiday trips in any season and features an ultra-adjustable suspension! Dual access to contents inside—through the top and via a large front panel with water-resistant, U-shaped zipper. With a rip-and-stick torso adjustment, the shoulder strap system easily slides on pack's frame to fit torsos of varying lengths. EVA Soft Edge shoulder straps move seams away from your body; cushioned edges provide non-chafing comfort. Precurved hipbelt with a Delrin® hoop is designed to cradle hip bones for a natural fit and distribution of pack weight without sagging. V-pull hipbelt design lets you use a natural pulling motion for quick, easy cinching and precise adjustment. Durable molded-foam backpanel has channels for air circulation, increasing ventilation to keep your back cool and dry. Concave head pod gives your head freedom of movement—no more staring at the ground. Hydration-compatible design features internal reservoir sleeve and dual exit ports to route drinking tube on either side (reservoir sold separately). Internal compartment with a zippered divider separates sleeping bag from gear and clothes. Zippered pocket under top lid makes it easy to find your map, compass, keys and other small essentials. Front zip pocket tackles the storage overflow with a separate pocket for fuel bottles. External mesh side pockets hold water bottles, energy bars and other essentials you want close at hand. Feature side zippered accessory pockets sized to fit gloves, hat, energy gels and more. Features pass-through slots, tool loop and daisy chain for those trips that require additional gear. With just four side buckles, the streamlined compression system lets you cinch down loads for jostle-free carrying. Overstock.

REI Saturn Pack

The Saturn Pack has been discontinued.

The REI Saturn Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 10, 2009 at REI.