REI Shuksan Jacket with eVent

Was looking for a shell for mostly downhill skiing.

Price Paid: $199 sale price

Summary

Was looking for a shell for mostly downhill skiing. This works great as it blocks all wind and precip, but vents internal moisture better than any thing else i have tried. Our local ski hill has a large difference in climate top to bottom. I can zip this up, put the hood over my helmet and ride up in a cocoon of protection. Really impressed by the eVent fabric, coming back down the hill, with a lot of energy expended it stays comfortable.

Pros

• Large hood
  • Very breathable

I bought a medium, fits perfect (5.10 175 lbs). Have not had any problems with the zipper, as some have noted. The hood has  front to back, and around the face adjustment, so it can be snugged up for use without a helmet, and this is ok for me, it works a little better with a cap on.

The jacket has two internal mesh "dump" pockets, two outside hand pockets, and two outside high chest pockets (one with a internal velcro mp-3 holder). No powder skirt, but I think those just hold in the powder as much as keep it out. The jacket has a long cut so i never had snow down my back.

It is a fairly trim fit but I usually layer with just a base layer and a zonal design Primaloft sweater with under arm and side venting fabric. This combo works great all around. If it's colder I switch to a ski parka.

Very happy with the design.

Finally! I have a jacket that breathes. I have had…

Finally! I have a jacket that breathes. I have had Gore-tex and Mountain Hardware'"conduit". This jacket with eVent is the best.

"Conduit" was useless. Don't buy it. Gore Tex was ok, but not like eVent.

eVent is not perfect, but I think the best so far. When hiking strenuously I still have some dampness on inside of fabric, but it is not too bad.

As far as the jacket goes it's pretty nice, but hood is too big and zipper is too tight. Fabric seems tough. Pockets are good and used for venting too. I have read there is trouble with zipper jamming. I use silicone and so far so good, but it is still tight.

Let me repeat though. eVent really works well for breathing.

I bought this jacket because it was on sell at REI…

Fabric: REI Elements 3-layer
Fill: N/A

I bought this jacket because it was on sell at REI and I must say that I am impressed with the construction. I have only owned it for a month, but it is proving its worth.

FIT:
I am 6'0", 215lbs with an athletic build and the XL fits me okay. The sleeves are just the right length for backpacking and skiing, but if you are a climber, they might pull up short of your wrists when reaching for the next hold. The lower section of the jacket is a little baggy, but you can cinch it up at the hem if needed.

CONSTRUCTION:
The jacket is built with lightweight durability in mind and that was evident from the moment I opened the package. The zippers have a very tight seal and they function smoothly without getting snagged. All the seams on the jacket are sealed as well. The jacket is also very packable for being a 3-layer technical shell. Finally, the extra protection on the jacket in the high stress areas like the shoulders and elbows is a good touch.

PERFORMANCE:
The breathability of the REI Elements fabric is definitely noticeable, but I think eVENT breathes better. The jacket doesn't impede any motion and comfortably moves with you. Just so happens the Shuksan will be made with eVENT fabric for the 2008 lineup.

OVERALL:
This is a good jacket that I didn't give top-rating due to the slightly baggy fit around the torso, but I'm very pleased otherwise.

Perfect for an epic climb to basecamp, a rigorous day of alpine touring, a fast push on snowshoes. The REI Shuksan jacket with eVent(TM) fabric has an updated, smooth-operating front zipper. eVent fabric has a unique membrane structure that allows sweat vapor to easily escape to the outside of the fabric. No matter how hard you work, overheating is unlikely due to this Direct Venting(TM) Technology. And because you remain dry on the inside, the likelihood of an uncomfortable, post-exercise chill is eliminated. eVent technology works so efficiently, no pit zippers are needed; all seams are sealed for complete waterproof protection. Embedded Recco(R) relector enhances radio signals from search-and-rescue Recco detectors for quicker acquisition of position in an avalanche. Integrated, helmet-compatible hood is drawcord adjustable to provide unhindered peripheral vision; drawcord system also ensures a good fit to a bare or hatted head. New 2-way, water-resistant front zipper operates smoothly and lets you adjust fit and venting. Features adjustable hem drawcord and snow-resistant rip-and-stick cuff tabs. 2 mesh-lined front pockets are placed to clear hipbelt; also features 2 mesh-lined chest stash pockets that double as vents. 2 inner stretch-mesh pockets are large enough to comfortably hold skins or a water bottle; 1 has an earphone cord port. Shuksan is windproof to 60 mph. Please note: to keep weight and bulkiness to a minimum, this backcountry jacket does not include a powder skirt. Care instructions: machine wash warm with detergent, rinse twice; a warm dryer will rejuvenate the water-repellent finish.

REI Shuksan Jacket with eVent

The Shuksan Jacket with eVent has been discontinued.

The REI Shuksan Jacket with eVent is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 17, 2012 at REI.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.