REI Starlite Pack

Solid pack, well-balanced, durable. Have used it several…

Summary

Solid pack, well-balanced, durable. Have used it several times a year for the last five years without any visible signs of wear - just dirt.

Pros

• Value for money
  • Durability
  • Load balance

Cons

• Provided water reservoir pocket too small to be practical
  • Main compartment diameter a tad small

I've been using this pack for five years now as my primary weekender. It's a very good pack, especially for the money. It's designed/labeled a women's pack, but as a short man I find it the perfect fit for me.

Everything about it is as advertised: bottom access to the sleeping bag compartment is good. Zippers have never snagged or parted. Main compartment is "expandable." Two exterior pockets hold a surprising amount of stuff.  Lid pockets are good; I can even access the outer pocket without removing the pack.  Two stuff pockets near the bottom are good for water bottles.

Only quibbles I have are with the water reservoir pocket - which is technically one of the outer, side pockets and much too small to be useful in that capacity - and the main compartment's diameter - which is just small enough to make fitting my bear canister a little challenging. Neither of these issues has ever really slowed me down; they just aren't perfect. Load balance and sit are excellent, straps are all easily and endlessly adjustable.

Overall, this is an excellent pack.

If you've owned or used a REI Starlite Pack, please share your experience.

REI Starlite Pack

The Starlite Pack has been discontinued.

The REI Starlite Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 12, 2008 at REI.