REI Stoke 19 Pack

Comfortable day pack with ample storage space! Only…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Comfortable day pack with ample storage space! Only drawback is the small bottle pockets.

Pros

• Comfortable straps, easy to adjust
  • Ample space in the bag for a day trip
  • Good construction

Cons

• Bottle pockets are too small

I received this day pack as a recent birthday gift. When I first pulled it out of the box I was surprised at how tiny it seemed. It is deceiving though because it can actually hold a lot.

On my first day trip with this pack, I carried 2 lunches, 4 oranges, bug spray, sunscreen, keys, and a couple maps and I would say it was only halfway full. The straps are very easy to adjust and the pack is extremely comfortable. At times I forgot I was wearing it!

I like the fact that it has the large main compartment, a smaller upper compartment perfect for your GPS, maps, and keys, and then it has the easy to access front mesh compartment which is nice for things you want to access and stash quickly like snacks.  It also has hip pockets which is perfect for Chapstick or a pocketknife.

I would say the only drawback to the pack are the side water bottle pockets. They are not quite large enough to hold a Nalgene. I purchase some of the 1L Smart water bottles but the pockets are cut on a diagonal so those fell right out. I also purchased some collapsible water bottles but those also fell out.

Finally I settled on 2 Gatorade bottles and those worked for hiking but if I bent over to tie my shoe or something, usually one would fall out. Because the pockets are small, they somewhat limit how much water you can carry if you do not use a bladder.

1454836_10203001487336878_2046644019_n.j

Visit REI's Stoke 19 Pack page.

The women's REI Stoke 19 will keep you hydrated while doing laps over rocks and pine needles. Back panel is lined with highly breathable, moisture-wicking, ventilating mesh to move sweat off your back. Egg-crate-shape foam back panel follows the contours or your body, keeping contents close in and stable. Pack features an internal cord compression system that pulls the load in with 1 tug, eliminating external straps and buckles. Separate zippered pocket holds a 2-liter hydration reservoir (not included) for hands-free drinking on the trail. Innovative feature directs hydration sip tube out through either shoulder strap. Adjustable, padded and wrapped with breathable mesh, the women-specific perforated foam shoulder straps enhance air circulation. Stabilizer wings connect the shoulder straps to the bottom of the pack to stabilize the load and reduce unwanted bouncing. Hipbelt webbing system cinches with a natural forward pulling motion for a quick, precise fit. Panel-loading zippered main compartment carries the essentials you need for a workout on the trail. Deep, front zippered pocket features a key clip and 2 mesh pockets for cell phone, wallet and small essentials. Twin hipbelt zip pockets store those small essentials you want at your fingertips, such as lip balm, sunscreen and digital camera. 2 mesh side pockets provide storage for slightly larger items, such as energy bars, MP3 player and a small energy drink. Clip loop lets you attach a safety flasher (not included). Special buy.

REI Women's Stoke 19 Pack

The REI Women's Stoke 19 Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 12, 2013 at REI.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.