REI Switchback Anorak

It was time for a new W/B jacket, and this was on…

Fabric: goretex xcr

It was time for a new W/B jacket, and this was on sale. I have not been disapointed with the results. Has kept me dry through rain, sleet and snow. Breathes well, and packs into its own pocket for storage. At twice the price it would still be a bargain, knowing how well REI stands behind their products.

I bought this jacket two years ago. Since, they have…

Fabric: 2-layer Gore-Tex/ nylon

I bought this jacket two years ago. Since, they have refined it and made it a bunch better I think. So I missed out on that. I have put waterproofing on it once and it still isn't totally waterproof. At first I thought the pullover feature was a great idea, but now I'm beginning to think otherwise. It would be nice to just unzip it so it's not so hot. The mesh lining has held up alright, but I would recommend some other kind of material for the inside. If I'm in a real downpoor the rain will soak through and you can see the mesh lining.

The stowaway hood is a good feature (even though it took me a while to figure out how it worked). I've taken it skiing a few times and snow doesn't hurt it. At least, as long as it's dry snow.

I made the mistake of getting the yellow color. It gets dirty very easily. You can wash it and that gets the dirt out. Unfortunately, it also gets the waterproofing out.

It's a fine town coat, but I wouldn't recommend it for any serious mountaineering or ice climbing or anything of that sort.

REI Switchback Anorak

The Switchback Anorak has been discontinued.

The REI Switchback Anorak is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.