REI Switchback UL Jacket

I got the Switchback UL on sale, my first purchase…

Fabric: Nylon, stretch fabric

I got the Switchback UL on sale, my first purchase from REI.

This jacket is the lightest hardshell I've ever used! I would say the fit on this one is athletic, there's not much room for layering beyond a microfleece jacket or vest. The two way stretch, pit zippers are all pluses.

Breathability was fine; I live in the Southeast, where humidity's very high. The performance of my Gore Pac Light was no better than the UL. Get one of these, you won't be disappointed.

The REI Switchback UL jacket offers serious lightweight weather protection for just about any backcountry endeavor, no matter what the season. Waterproof, breathable 2.5-layer REI Elements®/nylon with microporous polyurethane coating is seam-sealed for complete protection. Two-way mechanical stretch allows increased range of motion so jacket feels remarkably comfortable over bulky layers like fleece. Windproof to 60 mph. Brimmed hood with side and back adjustments tailor the fit and allow good peripheral vision; hood can be rolled up and secured. Chin guard protects against zipper abrasion. Water-resistant, low-bulk pit zippers let you vent body heat quickly. Hem drawcord and cuffs with laminated adjustment tabs help seal out the elements. Hand and chest pockets use low-bulk, water-resistant zippers; exit port in chest pocket manages headphone cord. Ergonomic shaping and underarm gussets elevate performance; relaxed fit for easy layering. Longer cut offers increased coverage.

REI Switchback UL Jacket

The Switchback UL Jacket has been discontinued.

The REI Switchback UL Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 27, 2008 at REI.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.