REI Traverse Shocklight - Women's

REI is awesome, these poles aren't as awesome. The…

Summary

REI is awesome, these poles aren't as awesome.

Pros

• light
  • relatively inexpensive

Cons

• locking mechanism
  • shocks

The first time using poles was the first time I used these poles. An avid hiker friend recommended the REI brand, and typically, I think their brand is pretty great. These poles, chosen from the limited selection of women's poles, and for their weight, are nice and lightweight. They are a pretty color.

The locking mechanism on there, though, is not what I had hoped. It is very easy to twist the poles unlocked, which led to a few scary moments on a mountain in the Catskills. The shocks are forgiving, but I didn't really like that aspect, either. Between the locks I didn't trust and the shocks, I felt as though the poles could give way any moment. I have since learned to check and recheck the locks, and they are manageable... though I might want a different brand still.

The two pole length adjusters worked well, and I could easily get the poles to the appropriate height for uphills and downhills. The straps for your hands adjust, too. Not as easily, but once they're set, you're good to go. I didn't have any rubbing on my palms or thumbs, very comfortable.

I lost the baskets immediately. That might be personal error, though. I wasn't paying attention to them. I haven't used any other poles, but I didn't feel the tips were super-grippy, either. The tip slipped along a few rocks when going downhill.

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All Traverse Shocklight versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Traverse Shocklight. Read all reviews »

REI Women's Traverse Shocklight

The REI Women's Traverse Shocklight is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 8, 2016 at REI.

If you're looking for a new antishock trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Sheila, Winner of a Year's Worth of Nikwax