REI Ventana Parka

This jacket has been though the Whites of NH, the…

Fabric: REI elements

This jacket has been though the Whites of NH, the Sierra, and the Alps. For the price and performance, it's performed far beyond my expectations.

Under a lot of exertion in dry weather, I've never gotten any condensation, and I've never had a significant amount of water leakage in rainy weather.

It's also been surprisingly rugged. Though I haven't worn it off trail much, regular trail and alpine hiking has left it unscathed after almost three years of frequent use. The only blemishes are from tree sap.

Any complaints? Eh, It's not all that flashy and gadgetty, but that's more dependent on your personality. Also, (maybe due to improper sizing) it hangs low enough on me to impede my leg movements a bit. I noticed this particularly when I was wearing it down a mogul trail. The bottom snap frequently came undone as I absorbed the shocks from the bumps, then the zipper would start opening from the bottom up.

I've only seen this on rare occasions when hiking.

REI Ventana Parka

The Ventana Parka has been discontinued.

The REI Ventana Parka is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.