REI Windbloc Fleece Jacket

The jacket serves double-duty as backpacking jacket…

Fabric: Gore Windbloc

The jacket serves double-duty as backpacking jacket and round-the-town wear. Durable, it has two external pockets and a couple of internal. It certainly blocks the wind well, and keeps you warm and dry (Windbloc fabric seems to limit the amount of moisture that penetrates).

Downside -- it also traps sweat as the internal temperature rises. If you work hard, and wear un-complementary layers, expect internal moisture. This can be managed by wearing proper wicking layers and pacing yourself.

I like this jacket a lot. The windbloc fleece really…

Fabric: Windbloc fleece

I like this jacket a lot. The windbloc fleece really works. I found it in the clearance rack at REI, it is an odd purple color but so far the backcountry fashion police haven't stopped me.

It has two internal glove pockets (they have large drainage holes), two outer handwarmer pockets, elastic cuffs and waist. It is also cut well, the thinner windbloc material keeps me warmer 300 wt fleece on windy days and is great for three season hiking. I also use the jacket cycling on cold days.

The one problem I've found is that if you don't use the zipper pull strap, the fleece can get caught in the zipper. But this happens on my TNF fleece jacket as well.