RIBZ Front Pack

Weight 10 oz / 280 g 11 oz /310 g
Capacity 400 cu in / 7 L 600 cu in / 10 L
Height 9 in / 23 cm 10 in / 25 cm
Width 11 in / 28 cm 13 in / 33 cm

Great for keeping items at hand while hiking: snacks,…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great for keeping items at hand while hiking: snacks, first aid, camera, phone, knife, head lamp, etc. Lightweight, comfortable, and versatile.

I'm 6' tall, and about 225 lbs. This pack fits comfortably, but if I was much larger (around) it would be difficult to zip in the front.

Padding on the straps is minimal, but sufficient for the size of the pack, and for the items it is designed to carry; and it can carry a lot. Both sides have a large storage area, and divided pocket mesh organization.

It has worked well for me on two multi-day hiking/hammock camping trips for keeping my pockets empty, and all my frequently used items easily accessible.

Welcome to Trailspace, AFox. I had to look up pictures of this thing in use. It looks really hot. Am I right?

AFox

It does hug close to the body, so on a hot day, yes, it can get hot. When I set up camp, I offload my pack, but I still wear the ribz pack. I unzip it in the front so it hangs loosely to my sides. All my personal items are still at hand, but not stuffed in my pockets.

The Ribz Pack is an excellent way to carry items that…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize

Summary

The Ribz Pack is an excellent way to carry items that you want to have immediately accessible like camera, map, compass/GPS, or binoculars. Also convenient for snacks or gel packs. Also allows for better weight distribution.

Pros

• Easy access to frequently used items
  • Allows for better weight distribution
  • Low profile even when load

Cons

• None

If you have ever considered upgrading your pack because you a little extra room, stop! Consider the Ribz Pack instead. I was looking to upgrade my 65 liter High Sierra Titan pack because I was needing extra cargo space, especially for winter excursion.

Instead, I tried the Ribz Pack. I have the large (11 liter) in grey and so far has worked out very well. I recommend one of the lighter colors as it makes it easier to find smaller items. The first items I put in were some of the 10 Essentials: multitool, knife, small survival kit, space blanket, Sawyer Mini Filter and first aid kit. I then put in my compass and WeatherPort. This left plenty of room for iPhone, battery charger and camera.

By doing this I have been able to create a modular packing system where the Ribz Pack is the primary unit and includes items that I would take on everything from day hikes, fishing trips, snowshoeing or even multiday backpacking trips. I then can add additional packs depending on the activity (hydration pack, day pack or large pack).

It would follow that if you have a pack with a top compartment that can be removed and converted to a fanny pack, add the Ribz Pack and you are good to go.

Pretty dang handy once you get used to it. A couple…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Reality - PBF administrator)

Summary

Pretty dang handy once you get used to it.

Pros

• Well laid out straps and placement
  • Comfortable close carry
  • Great for flat items or flexible items

Cons

• A little awkward
  • Pockets not fully accessible unless you're very flexible
  • Items with corners or rigid items can be uncomfortable

A couple years back, i was one of the lucky recipients of a Ribz pack. i'll say this: they're comfortable, handy, and solid.

I have one of the gen-2 models. they're surprisingly sturdy and nicely put together, they hold a large amount of stuff. the internal pockets(open-topped) make dividing up fiddly bits easy. the big pockets hold a lot more than you'd think, just looking at it. it's a very roomy pack, the volume rating doesn't quite convey just how much space you get. granted in the gen-2 models getting to the back of the pocket can be a little tough. i'm a fairly flexible fellow and it's a tough reach.

The close fit makes carrying lightweight no matter how much you stuff in. bulky items can feel a little uncomfortable against your arms, but it's not THAT bad.

These make terrific flat-packing ways to carry survival kits, fishing and daytrip gear, or small items like maps etc you want to keep nearby and easy to hand.  i've used it to carry ammunition and shooting supplies, which i have to say it's phenomenal at. gone are the days of fishing around in a pack for ammunition while out in the field, for me.

The Ribz packs have been redesigned somewhat, and from what i've heard, the gen-3 take all the good points and have all but eliminated the bad. they're VERY worth the money, in my opinion. with careful thought, they will make a fantastic addition to your kit.