Rock Exotica MicroEight

Light and versatile, like a spare tire, you don't…

Summary

Light and versatile, like a spare tire, you don't know it's there until you need it.

Pros

• Compact and ultralite, fits a variety of rope diameters
  • Very controllable resistance

Cons

• Only fits a limited range of carabiners, cannot use it with most on my rack

I bought this as a part of my bailout kit to replace an SMC mini eight I had dropped in the snow. I carry a self evac. kit to rap out of a stuck chair lift so it sits in my pack 99.9%. I carry all screw lock biners (I know it's old school) and this does not fit any of them!

I wound up getting another SMC to replace the one I lost and now use this in my hammock suspension kit. It works great for quick adjustments in the middle of the night when knots tend to slip and is bomb proof to lock and unties easy. This is a wonderful application for this device and the weight and price make it very reasonable.