I love chocolate. I like salt. But salted chocolate?

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by Salazon for testing and review)

Summary

I love chocolate. I like salt. But salted chocolate?

When Salazon Chocolate, a brand new company, sent me samples of their salted chocolate bars last month, I was a little skeptical. I love good chocolate, but I don't like when people mess with it too much.

Salazon (which means salted in Spanish) claims to be the first salted-chocolate brand, and I initially wondered if maybe there was a good reason salted chocolate hadn't been done before.

But, I couldn't resist the company's motto — "roam the earth. eat chocolate." — or the fact that Salazon Chocolate was started by a hiker, Pete Truby, who preferred making his own salted dark chocolate rather than eating energy bars or "nutritionals" on his hikes. Plus, it was chocolate.

So today I got to work and dug in. I figured I'd try a sample from each bar. I ended up having to put the delicious half-eaten bars far, far away, two floors away, lest they disappear completely.

I am converted.

Organic Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt and Organic Turbinado Cane Sugar:

Yum. Dark chocolate with turbinado cane sugar sprinkled on for added sweetness and crunch, plus the sea salt to bring out all the flavors. My favorite. If your chocolate preferences lean toward the milk variety, start here.

salazon-bars.jpg

Salazon Chocolate bars are made in small batches in Maryland and are 100 percent USDA organic. The additional ingredients — like sea salt, pepper, and turbinado — are sprinkled onto the bars for better texture and taste, instead of mixed in with the chocolate. The resulting flavors are more complex than in a plain old milk or even dark chocolate bar, but not overly complicated or fussy.

chocolate.jpg

Instead of being scored to break apart easily, the three-ounce bars are solid and feature a molded chocolate image of the Asian salt farm featured on their labels. My bars were broken into a couple pieces by the time I opened them, so I missed having a pretty, intact chocolate picture, but they still tasted great and hey, who needs scoring?

If you've never tried salted chocolate, I highly recommend you give these bars a try. Each Salazon Chocolate flavor has its own charm and I can see any one being a favorite for individual palettes. Consider carrying along a bar (or two) on your next hike or backpack.

Individual bars retail for $3.49.

Salazon Chocolate Co. does not make a milk chocolate but we did want to have a offering that was a little sweeter. Of course, we do it a little differently by sprinkling on a little organic turbinado cane sugar. This adds the texture that Salazon is known for and bit of extra sweetness to compliment the sea salt for one-of-a-kind chocolate bar.

Our unique, organic chocolate bars are made in small batches in the United States with only the best all natural and organic ingredients. And all of Salazon Chocolate Co’s bars have our signature touch of sea salt.

Our subtly sweet dark chocolate starts with the best organic cacao beans available and then we add only the best additional ingredients such as organic evaporated cane juice and organic vanilla. This produces a smooth not too sweet, not too bitter chocolate that pairs perfectly with our sea salt.

We looked for the perfect sea salt for our chocolate and we found it: our sea salt is completely natural, unrefined and has absolutely no additives. It is simply sea water harvested from pristine areas in the Southern Atlantic and then solar evaporated, that’s it! The natural minerals and subtle nuances of flavor make it the perfect balance for our organic chocolate.

The Salazon Chocolate Organic Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt and Organic Turbinado Cane Sugar is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new bar, check out the best reviewed current models.