Salewa Rapace GTX

Lightweight, good fit, should be a sturdy backpacking…

Price Paid: $238 with discount

Summary

Lightweight, good fit, should be a sturdy backpacking boot that also climbs well.

Pros

• Lacing to the toe offers a lot of flexbility in fit
  • Overall comfort
  • Compatible with heel clip crampons

Cons

• Perhaps long term durability?
  • Full retail is a bit pricey

I just purchased these and have yet to put them through a full season. I was seeking a backpacking boot with a firm but not rigid sole that will walk and handle long approaches well, and that will also take crampons and climb and handle off trail work well.

I expect these to be a lighter and more comfortable alternative to a pair of old leather Garmonts that had fit the bill for many years, but that needed to be retired. This general boot style (lacing to the toe, rand, etc), Salewa uses on a number of their boots this spring. Maybe, if these fit, it's likely the other styles (e.g., hikers) based on the same platform may too...?

These fit my foot... I tend to need at least a medium width boot, with a snug heel and roomy toebox. In these the footbed and insert option plus flexibility in lacing (from toe to top) allows lots of adjustability. I prefer to replace factory footbed inserts with Superfeet for the best the arch and heel support.

So far so good on fit. The footbed construction is firm but not rigid, and the vibram sole provides very good traction.

I will update this report after putting in some mileage and elevation.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of these over time, alpine1. Thanks!