Salewa Raven Combi GTX

I have used this boot in summer 2012. The rocker was…

Summary

I have used this boot in summer 2012. The rocker was not to my liking and I wore completely through the rubber on the toe (just my stride). Since then I have tried many other lightweight boots (Salewa Condor, Asolo Titan, La Sportiva Glacier), and none have been as good.

Pros

• Excellent for hiking, have done 20 mile days in comfort
  • Weatherproof

Cons

• Fragile lace guides bent
  • Sole wore through
  • High cuff and stiffness makes level terrain hiking tougher

I used this boot all of summer 2012 to climb in Germany, Slovakia, Poland, Romania, and the UK. I planned to do more technical stuff than I did, but since I only brought one pair of boots I did some very long hikes in these.

For a mountaineering boot they hiked quite well. Did 38 km/ 2300 m elevation gain in Romania climbing Moldoveanu with these and didn't get any blisters. Did a few long days elsewhere with great results. In Romania I began wearing through the rubber on the toe of the boot sole rapidly. I think the rocker is not ideal for my stride.

The boots continued to work well, until a lace guide bent, and afterward another. This made the lacing less comfortable, but still useable. Once back in the U.S. Salewa advised me to return them to backcountry.com rather than warranty them.

Very light and stiff. No blisters as advertised. They…

Summary

Very light and stiff. No blisters as advertised. They have been waterproof in the rain and creek crossings. I use this boot for mountain hiking and mountain hunting.

Pros

• Light
  • Stiff
  • Waterproof
  • No blister guarantee

Cons

• Hard insole
  • Low rise for some conditions

One of the most comfortable boots I've worn. As soon as my foot slipped into these Salewas I knew they were for me.

If you've owned or used a Salewa Raven Combi GTX, please share your experience.