Grip like no other shoe I've owned. A touch narrow,…

Summary

Grip like no other shoe I've owned. A touch narrow, but still very comfy, and did I mention grip?

Pros

• Grip
  • Waterproof
  • Comfortable footbed
  • Super-comfortable tongue

Cons

• A bit narrow
  • Ankle cup can rub bottom of ankle bone
  • Weird bottom lace configuration

A review in two parts

Part 1 - My review after the first day:

I just received these in the mail and put them on. They are very comfortable and very true to size. I always wear a EUR 43 (I've given up on US sizes) and these fit me perfectly (US size 10 in this case).

They are darker black than I expected from the photo where they look more grey—but they are still pretty sharp looking. The red laces really pop nicely. The cloth is grey; but the black trim really dominates the appearance.

The tongue is very comfortable. It's a little odd looking before you put it on but feels really nicely on my foot.

The toe cap is really nice and solid. I'm pretty hopeful it will hold up well on the trail and the disc golf course. It is a little odd when you're looking straight down on it because it sort of covers just half of the top of the shoe.

The grip seems pretty good. I walked around on some marble tile and they grip pretty well. I'm hopefully that translates well to slicker rocks on the trail.

salewa_shoes.jpg
Part 2 - One month in

After having worn these on very loose soil on really steep embankments, on wet rocks and crags, and a variety of surfaces in between I can say these have the best grip of any shoe I've ever worn. I have never felt more confident on the trail than I do in these shoes.

On the flip side they are a tiny bit narrow. Not as an narrow as say an Adidas shoe, but narrow enough that my right foot notices it if I'm sitting still for a while. I imagine that will loosen up over time but for now it it's an issue if I wear them to work.

The ankle area is a little high too so the curvy bit that swoops under my ankle bone tends to annoy my left ankle when my left foot is on the high side on a trail. Not enough to get me to not wear them (that grip!) but a long day of walking on uneven terrain could really cause my ankle some grief.

The lacing system is a little different than other shoes and that first lace at the bottom, if it isn't tight enough, can catch loose sticks. So make sure you snug that one in place even if you want the rest of the shoe laced a little loosely.

lace.jpg

laceWithStick.jpg
Even with the niggles I have I'd buy these again. They are the first Salewa shoes I've owned but I'm blown away by the grip. The shoe is also great quality and the water proof is, so far, truly proof (I know it's Gore-Tex but I seem to have hit-or-miss Gore-Tex experiences). I'm very happy with this purchase and have recommended them, in person, to others.

I wear them disc golfing as well and they are great shoes for all the different elements you might find on the course.

I don't know what they put in the "Pomoca Speed MTN rubber compound" sole, but I feel like a mountain goat when I'm wearing them.

Here is a good view of the tread on these beasts:

tread.jpg

Thanks for the review, Bill! I hope you'll keep us posted on how your Salewas continue to work out.

Bill Rawlinson (Finalcut)

I've updated to show a close up of the weird lace bit and of the awesome grippy tread.

Thanks, Bill!

This shoe is everything you want it to be, plus a…

Summary

This shoe is everything you want it to be, plus a little more. The fit is great and it's very comfortable. Like hiking on clouds. The shoe is also very multifunctional as it can be used for major backpacking trips to day trips to just wearing it around with a pair of jeans.

Pros

• Fit
  • Durability
  • Overall look

I love this shoe. I have had it now for about a month and it's everything I hoped it would be when I ordered them. From the minute I put them on they felt like they were made for my foot. I have taken them out on several hiking trips now and they never cease to amaze me. I have gone from the Merrell Moabs, which I thought were going to be the most comfortable hiking shoe I ever owned, until I got my pair of Wildfires.

They required no break-in time, which is a guarantee from Salewa. If you receive a blister they will refund you. The technology they put into the lacing system and overall shape of the shoe is on point. I have the GTX so they have the Goretex lining. Still breathable and my feet do not overheat.

I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for a nice sturdy shoe with a sharp look.