Salomon Authentic 5

I am on my third pair of Authentic 5s and love them,…

Materials: Leather
Use: rough day hikes/light-moderate backpacking
Break-in Period: 1 week
Weight: ?
Price Paid: $160 cdn

I am on my third pair of Authentic 5s and love them, The only problem is I kept outgrowing them after a year. I have had my last pair for about 1 1/2 years and finally the stitching at the end of the laces is coming apart and I can see my sock?! I am in the market now for a newer heavier boot (Salomon Authentic 8 Super trek, but can't find it anywhere) The Authentic 8s have double stiching where the 5s have single, it'll make all the difference. They also stay fairly waterproof if properly maintained, use Freesole on all seams before you break in the boots.

Very good all-around "regular" boot. My foot is medium…

Materials: Full grain leather
Use: Rough trail; backpacking with light-mid weight pack
Break-in Period: 5-15 hikes
Weight: 2.5 lbs
Price Paid: $125 US

Very good all-around "regular" boot. My foot is medium width, narrow heel; best fit I've found so far. Applied Nikwax waterproofing wax thoroughly before wearing, frequently since then, and have had no problems with leakage. Good grip from Contagrip soles. Worth trying on if your foot is similar to mine, also for women with mid-width feet.

If you've owned or used a Salomon Authentic 5, please share your experience.

Salomon Authentic 5

The Authentic 5 has been discontinued.

The Salomon Authentic 5 is not available from the stores we monitor.