Salomon Discovery GTX

Great boot for hiking and light backpacking in rugged…

Summary

Great boot for hiking and light backpacking in rugged wet areas. Get closer to the weight of low-tops without giving up ankle support.

Pros

• Grippy soles
  • Good support

Cons

• Hook for laces at ankle is harder to catch than the others

I have large, somewhat narrow feet with an average arch. When I went shopping for boots I was looking for a pair that were lightweight, comfortable, waterproof, and full ankle coverage. My local EMS has a great selection of hiking boots with plenty of over-the-ankle waterproof ones to try on.

I ended up going home with the Salomon Discovery GTX's because they fit my narrow-ish feet the best and felt the lightest out of all the boots I tried. I was a bit wary that they didn't use the Vibram rubber that every other manufacturer seems to use, but I got over that one issue.

After logging 70-80 miles in these I am extremely happy with my purchase. They are durable and have remained 100% waterproof. The soles grip every bit as well as my girlfriend's vibram-soled boots. Combined with Smartwool socks I don't get hotspots or heel-lift in any appreciable way, and they're just as comfortable now as the day I tried them on. The only blister I've gotten while wearing them was where one toe rubbed against another.

My recommendation: If you try them on in the store and they're comfortable; they'll work for you. If you're buying online order your normal shoe size. If you have wide feet, look at the Discovery Wide GTX.

If you've owned or used a Salomon Men's Discovery GTX, please share your experience.