The Momentum Soft Shell pant has been my go-to for…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

The Momentum Soft Shell pant has been my go-to for nordic skiing this season.

Pros

• Flexible fit
  • Warm

Cons

• High waist

I bought this pant at the beginning of the season for nordic skiing on groomed trails, but have enjoyed the Momentum in the backcountry as well! The flexible material allows for easy, unrestricted movement, and the fleece insulation is warm yet breathable. It also feels great against your skin.

My favorite feature of this pant is the balance between wind protection and breathability. Climawind material is used only on the front of the pant, while the back is soft and flexible. Living in northern New Hampshire where the weather often changes over the course of a ski trip, I appreciate feeling protected from the cold and the wind, while not having to worry about overheating. That being said, the pant is designed for use in cold weather and I would imagine that it may offer more warmth than is needed in mild temperatures.

This pant is comfortable and fits well. The cuff of the pant is lined with a grip material and fits snugly against my boot. Even in the backcountry, I've had no issues with snow finding its way into my boots.

The photo below was taken on a backcountry trip through nearly two feet of new powder! My husband and I were breaking trail for most of the trip and my ankles and feet stayed dry—no gaiters necessary. The waist of the pant is higher than feels comfortable to me. I've solved that issue by folding the waistband over, which seems to do the trick.

ski-pants.jpg