Salomon Sense Mantra

I give this lightweight trail shoe a 5 star rating…

Summary

I give this lightweight trail shoe a 5 star rating because of its simple yet supportive design.

Pros

• The tough shoe-length tread

Cons

• Toe cap separation

I picked up the Salomon Sense Mantra via an online purchase. Had I seen them on a store shelf I may not have even tried them on. They are nearly minimalist and don't give the appearance of a tough trail shoe.

I was pleasantly surprised during my first run in them. The first thing that's obvious is the minimal drop (6mm) that really promotes a forefoot strike. There's also no bulky/over-built sole so you can really feel the trail, but there's still ample protection provided. For this shoe, the aggressive tread goes from toe to heel.

That first run (and every run since) was quite muddy and the traction provided was a huge surprise. I guess I had very low expectations upon opening the box and I've been overly impressed ever since.

My only disappointment is that after only 100 miles, the toe cap in the middle of the toe rand is beginning to separate from the upper. Great shoe, I'd definitely recommend it!