Salomon Sense Mantra

I like this shoe a lot. It has great feel on the foot…

Price Paid: $82 with shipping

Summary

I like this shoe a lot. It has great feel on the foot and feels so light compared to other trail runners I have used in the past.

Pros

• Tread
  • Extremely light
  • Good looking shoe

Cons

• A little too breathable for my liking
  • Don't use in the rain

Fit/Comfort: Very comfortable tight foot. I have a wider foot and had concerns about buying online. Through several runs I am very impressed with how the shoe fits and feels. It is extremely comfortable. I hate putting on my everyday shoes now. I want to wear my Salomons all the time!

Support: Arches feel decent, somewhat lacking for my liking. This isn't a big deal though because the footbeds are removable.

Water Resistance: Don't try it. Puddles are your worst enemy in this shoe, when they say breathable, they mean breathable. Compared to previous trail runners, there is little water resistance/mud resistance. Definitely one of the only downfalls of this shoe.

Traction: Great traction, shoe has a killer tread. Grips very well on both cement and trails alike. I've had no problems on mud or ice, as long as it doesn't get up over the side where your foot breaths from.

Temp Control: I get smelly feet. In these shoes, I don't. They breathe really well, almost too well for colder conditions. I live in Michigan, and don't see these shoes getting used too much this winter :(

Durability: Although I haven't owned these shoes very long, they seem like they are very durable and well designed. I have owned Salomons in the past, all of which were very durable and used for a year or longer. Very impressed with this aspect of all of their shoes.

Features: The tread seems very durable, and works well on trails and sidewalks alike. I like to run on trails, but I wanted a shoe that was supposedly capable of both, which this one said it was. I have taken several runs with these shoes on both trails and roads and found that they weren't kidding.

I still can't get over how much I hate tying shoes. You don't have to worry about tying these shoes. I love the Salomon lacing system, It's literally the best part

Thanks for the review, Nick. Please come back and update on the durability. I have a pair of runners that I would have given 5 stars to last month. This month, I'm suddenly needing to use Shoe Goo on a couple of spots (they have less than 150 miles on them).

Thanks for the review, Nick. I'll also be curious to hear how your shoes continue to perform. I like my La Sportiva trail runners, but am interested in trying some Salomons. I'd love to see some pics of your shoes too.

I give this lightweight trail shoe a 5 star rating…

Summary

I give this lightweight trail shoe a 5 star rating because of its simple yet supportive design.

Pros

• The tough shoe-length tread

Cons

• Toe cap separation

I picked up the Salomon Sense Mantra via an online purchase. Had I seen them on a store shelf I may not have even tried them on. They are nearly minimalist and don't give the appearance of a tough trail shoe.

I was pleasantly surprised during my first run in them. The first thing that's obvious is the minimal drop (6mm) that really promotes a forefoot strike. There's also no bulky/over-built sole so you can really feel the trail, but there's still ample protection provided. For this shoe, the aggressive tread goes from toe to heel.

That first run (and every run since) was quite muddy and the traction provided was a huge surprise. I guess I had very low expectations upon opening the box and I've been overly impressed ever since.

My only disappointment is that after only 100 miles, the toe cap in the middle of the toe rand is beginning to separate from the upper. Great shoe, I'd definitely recommend it!