Salomon SM Expert

I bought these boots for winter mountaineering after…

Materials: leather upper; insulated; rubber rands
Use: winter mountaineering; snowshoeing
Break-in Period: shorter than you might think

I bought these boots for winter mountaineering after a truly painful experience with double plastic boots sent me in search of an alternative. The SM Experts have been great. I have wide feet, and they have fit me well. My feet have not been cold at 0 degrees F (though I tend to run warm). Lovely balance between stiffness in the sole and flexibility at the ankle, making it good for general mountaineering and snowshoeing. Rock solid fit with Grivel G-12 and G-14 crampons.

One star taken off because Salomon, for some unfathomable reason, did not put in a Gore-tex liner, or some other waterproofing technology (not that I mind Nikwaxing, but for boots you know are going to be out on the snow...), but I highly recommend these boots

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All SM Expert versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there are 4 reviews for other versions of the SM Expert. Read all reviews »

The Salomon SM Expert is a world-class mountaineering boot that perfectly integrates a high tech chassis with a classic leather upper.

- Backcountry Outlet

Rugged mountaineering boots from Salomon to meet the mountain's challenges. Climbing chassis with polyurethane midsole, external heel counter, and climbing-tuned plate. Contagrip2

- Sierra Trading Post

Salomon Men's SM Expert

The Men's SM Expert has been discontinued.

The Salomon Men's SM Expert is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 25, 2007 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.