Salomon SpeedCross 3

If you are in the market for a shoe that can conquer…

Summary

If you are in the market for a shoe that can conquer technical trails and rough terrain, this is the shoe for you. I wouldn't recommend this shoe for those who are planning on running on mostly soft gravel, smooth trails.

The tread is long lasting and keeps my feet comfortable for mid-range distances (up to 15 miles). Perfect for rocky climbs and downhills. Highly recommended for those adventure seekers who want aggressive tread for aggressive trails.

Pros

• Quicklaces
  • Lugs make for confident footing
  • Quality of materials used

Cons

• If worn on road or other surfaces that is not trail, lugs wear down quickly
  • Narrow toe box

Overview

When I first saw the SpeedCross 3 shoes by Salomon, I knew I had to give them a try. You see, I have been looking for a shoe that could handle the most technical trails. The lugs on the bottom of the shoe are very pronounced and aggressive looking. I wanted to prepare for my first mountain race, and these are the first shoes I wanted to test.

photo-31.jpg

Fit

I ordered a half size larger as per the description on the store's website. I am glad I did, even with the bigger size, the shoes fit snug on my foot. I have a wider foot and have dealt with bunions and the SpeedCross 3 does not immediately cause irritation, though for runs longer than 15 miles I noticed a slight burning sensation. You *may* not experience this if you have a more narrow foot.

The quick lace system is easily one of my favorite features of the shoe and it comes with a pocket on the tongue so you can tuck the laces in there when you are finished tightening them. This provides a secure fit and I have never experience my shoelaces slipping or have ever had to tighten them during a run. I ran in all elements with these and they certainly do well in all weather, especially rain because of the breathable material: compared to other shoes, I found that my foot did not get waterlogged.

I have to admit, transitioning from a stability shoe to a shoe like the speed cross was difficult on my feet at first, and the firm ride was something I had to get used to, but I think that it helped strengthen the muscles in my feet because I am lower to the ground and can really feel the trail (I don't mean rocks, just the surface of the trail--the rock plate offers tremendous protection).

Running Experience

When I first got the shoes, I tested them out on a technical, steep, rocky, and wet trail. I felt almost too confident running up slick rock steps and up and down hilly, rocky sections. The only time the shoe slipped was on completely saturated, mossy rocks and wet tree trunks/branches so please use caution when running on slippery objects.

Other than that, the SpeedCross outperformed my previous trail shoes by a mile (pun intended). I have since ran a number of trail races in them and they have kept me ahead of the pack due to its aggressive tread.

I've since logged about 200 miles on the SpeedCross 3 and see minimal wear in the lugs. I can easily see these lasting another 200 miles, maybe even more. I quickly noticed how, if running on paved trails/roads, the lugs seem to wear much faster. Also, my feet were sore after long runs in these shoes and I am considering trying a more cushioned shoe for distances over 15 miles.

The SpeedCross 3 is a very well made shoe that I would highly recommend to anyone who is looking for a durable shoe that can perform well on the most technical terrain. The shoe is offered in a range of cool colors and the rugged and eye catching appearance of the shoe is a definite bonus.

sal.jpg

This was taken after my first mountain half. It is the shoe for climbing and descending mountainous terrain!

Welcome to Trailspace, Ashley! Thanks for sharing your Salomon review. I'd love to see a picture of your trail runners, if you're willing to add them to the review.

Ashley Alex

Alicia I added a couple pictures! I hope the review was helpful! If you have any more questions please ask!

Thanks, Ashley! Out of curiosity, what was your first mountain half you ran?

Ashley Alex

Alicia, it was with my local running group in a state park, though it was not an official event, we are considering making it one for next year. I did a mountain race called 'The Black Diamond Running Series Top of the Mountain 10k', which was an official race. They both were fun and challenging. I am just starting to get into ultra running now! Do you also run trail/mountain races?

Sounds fun, Ashley! I do run trails here in Maine, though I also run on the road too. I've run some ultras as well, 50Ks up to my first 50-miler this past spring. Good luck with your own training! Do you have a distance or race you're eyeing?

Ashley Alex

Alicia, I am hoping to do a 50 miler in upstate New York this spring! Which 50 miler did you do? Maine looks like such a beautiful place--I've been meaning to make a trip up there to explore but just haven't gotten around to it! Do you have any suggestions on which part to visit and which trails to explore?

My 50-miler was at Pineland Farms here in Maine. I've also run the 50K there and two 50ks at Vermont 50 (I want to go back and do the 50-miler at VT). Pinelands is a great running festival weekend with lots of races: http://www.pinelandtrails.com/ Maine has tons of great spots to explore, Acadia is beautiful on the coast, Baxter SP is excellent for hiking and more, plus there are loads of mountains big and small.

These shoes are ridiculous! I have run on snow and…

Summary

These shoes are ridiculous! I have run on snow and ice, mud, gravel and even felt secure on slippery rock. I love the speed laces. My only regret with my purchase was I didn't buy more than one pair. Excellent trail runner.

Pros

• Speed laces
  • Superior traction
  • Look really badass

Cons

• The soles seemed to wear faster than I would have liked, but I have worn them at least 5 times a week for 2 years.

I bought these for trail running, and I got so much more. These are my go-to all around outdoor shoe. They are super light, extremely comfortable and the traction is Spiderman like. They have excellent room in the toe box, perfect arch support and look...well, they scream "look, I'm badass."

I seriously love these shoes. I am debating on what color my next Salomon Speedcross 3's will be.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All SpeedCross 3 versions

In addition to the 2 women's reviews above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the SpeedCross 3. Read all reviews »