Salomon X-Adventure Raid Access

This is a great snowshoe for bushwhacking. The metal…

This is a great snowshoe for bushwhacking. The metal pivots connecting the hard plastic footbed to the platform make the snowshoe follow where your toes point them as you are maneuvering over deadfall logs and around trees and through thickets. I like that better than the soft strap method of securing your foot to the platform in other snowshoes, which is OK but not as responsive in my opinion.

And I love the XA boot and binding system. However, mine broke. That skinny plastic rib that runs up the center and under the heel bears all your heel weight. I was leery of that aspect of the design when I bought them, because my time in the Arctic left me with the impression that no plastic can withstand serious cold.

Sure enough, it started showing signs of stress (whiteness appearing, as anyone who has over-bent plastic will recognize), then one day it gave way. That failure pretty much makes the snowshoe useless in deep snow. As for getting a replacement - so far I am getting bounced around by Salomon, but I remain optimistic that their reputation for standing behind their products will prevail.

Step into these Salomon snowshoes and you'll be making first tracks through the newly-fallen snow. Versatile convertible strapping system works with most boots, including Salomon's X-Adventure system.High front tips glide over the snow's surface. Durable aluminum crampons bite into ice.Traverse-pivot system keeps you from sliding on steeper traverses. Includes handy carrying strap. 8 X 24"5 lb. pr. Weight capacity 225 lb.Moncoque composite.<b>Closeouts</b>. France.

- Sierra Trading Post

Salomon X-Adventure Raid Access

The X-Adventure Raid Access has been discontinued.

The Salomon X-Adventure Raid Access is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new recreational snowshoe, check out the best reviewed current models.