Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2

A good mix between an ultralight trailrunner and a…

Summary

A good mix between an ultralight trailrunner and a lightweight trail shoe.

Pros

• Support
  • Protection
  • Weight

I'm a little hesitant to give a shoe review...since shoes are 99% fit...and 1% features for me. That is...a shoe that fits properly will only have minor drawbacks...but a poorly fitted shoe is useless. So beyond repeating the manufacturer's specs and marketing-spin on this shoe...I’m not sure there is a whole lot more that can be said...but I'll do my best to construct as useful a review as I possibly can.

Salomon.jpg

I'll start with what I like...most of the trails I visit are some strange mix between gravel roads and what I am sure is more often than not simply an erosion path. One minute I find myself walking a rural gravel road...the next I am climbing over roots and jumping down onto sharp rocks.

One of the things I really like about this particular shoe is the rigid toe-box which uses a rubber or rubberized material to add just enough protection without the undo burdens of excessive weight and moisture absorption.

Next...the heel and support is excellent...there's some talk about foam from recycled tires being the solution on the manufacturer's website...but in actual use my heel stayed snug in the "cup" and for a low-top shoe it helped resist the tendency to roll an ankle on uneven terrain exceptionally well.

Finally, the outsoles + midsoles + foot bed are a great combination of weight and protection. I tend to move fast...I jump and climb over things quickly...without a whole lot of thought being given to my landing. I have used too little foot protection before...and a bruise on the ball of the foot...heel...or arch can quickly change a thru-hike to a section-hike! These shoes have kept me injury free since I have owned them...which is as perfect a record as they can have at this point.

Overall I feel like Salomon packed a lot of shoe into a really light and quick-drying platform...to the point of making a heavy low-top leather trail shoe all but a non-consideration for me. If I had ankle concerns I would still consider a mid-top boot...but in every other aspect I feel like the Salomon trail-runner is either superior or completely adequate. Put simply...if I wasn't nursing an ankle-injury or running on a paved road...I would consider the Salomon XA3D Ultra 2.

I am a huge fan of the original version of this shoe…

I am a huge fan of the original version of this shoe (XA Pro 3D Ultra). It pains me (literally) that Salomon felt the need to mess with perfection. The new model has a higher arch support and other changes to beef up the midsole.

End result: I am still suffering the pains from my first run, including blisters on my instep which I have never experienced before. If you like to run on the balls of your feet (which you should), then these are not the shoes for you.

Visit Salomon's Men's XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 page.

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 Trail-Running Shoes for MenBreak your personal running record using the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 Trail-Running Shoes for Men. Thanks to the quick drying breathable mesh on these Salomon shoes they remain ventilated. These running shoes come with a protective rubber toe cap that provides lightweight, durable traction in the forefoot and midfoot. The mud guard protective material all around the base of the shoe provide extra comfort and support. Since these shoes come with the unique quicklace system with lace pocket it makes it easy to run without worrying about tripping. The asymmetrical lacing provides a customized fit and quick adjustment. The low-cut profile allow to you move your feet freely. Enjoy using the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 Trail-Running Shoes for Men on your next run.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version

Salomon and Backcountry. com teamed up to create the Men's XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 Trail Running Shoe. This is the same lightweight, super stable XA model that you've come to expect from Salomon, except Backcountry. com is offering it in an exclusive colorway you won't find anywhere else. You can wear this shoe for fast hiking to the summit of a local peak, day hiking with the family, or trail running into the foothills. Get this one-of-a-kind shoe before it's gone--this is the only place to get it.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

These lightweight, durable and stable trail running shoes provide a comfortable running or hiking experience on any terrain. Feature Solomon's Sensifit technology for a secure fit and smooth stride. Breathable mesh upper reduces moisture buildup. Feature Quicklace system for fast, secure lacing and a protective mudguard and toe cap for trail debris. Rugged Contagrip outsole with multidirectional lugs provides improved traction on wet or muddy trails. Imported.

- L.L.Bean refers to the men's version

CLOSEOUTS . Lightweight and breathable, Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail running shoes add a new dimension of performance with a quick-drying mesh upper, rapid lacing system and Contagripand#174; rubber outsole. Available Colors: SWAMP/BLACK, BLACK/AUTOBAHN, DARK GREY/LIGHT ONIX/ORANGE, BLACK/BLACK/AUTOBAHN, BLUE/BLACK/SUNSET, SWAMP/BLACK/RED, LIGHT ONIX/BLACK/GREY, LIGHT ONYX/BLACK/ORGANIC GREEN, AUTOBAHN/BLACK, BLUE/GREY/BLACK. Sizes: 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, 14, 12, 7.5, 7, 8.5, 13, 8, 12.5.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version