Highly structured stability trail runners with bombproof…

Price Paid: 150 AUD

Highly structured stability trail runners with bombproof durability, good grip, and comfort.

• Stability
  • Comfort
  • Speed laces

• Probably weighty for racing
  • Sole good for running, too shallow for hiking
  • Stock footbed too absorbent

I'm on my 4th pair of this shoe, which was called the XT Wings.

Fit: Salomon tends to run narrow but this fits reasonably true to my medium wide foot. The toebox is pleasingly wide and the heel cup is narrow, which I love.

Comfort: Runs firm compared to most road shoes. I run on the road without issues. Close fit, helped by great speed laces. Not comfortable at all without socks.

Support: Fantastic — this is a stable shoe. Wide flared sole, 'sensafit' exoskeleton, firm plastic antipronation features and rand makes this the most stable shoe I have worn. This shoe excels on rock and  gravel and is very stable when  traversing across steep slopes - your feet do not move in hte shoe which makes for confident walking even with a pack.  pretty much a shoe that bridges trail runnin and hiking - it does it all. Not a super low drop shoe, but nonetheless very structured and stable.

Water Resistance: Nil. But drains well. The footbed soaks up water and bunches. Needs replacing.

Traction: Good on rock and gravel, less so on wet rock and mud. I'd say good not great.

Temp Control: Runs warm for a non Goretex shoe. I used it in the notorious mud of the south coast track in tasmania - found it warmer with tight dense wool socks than a goretex pair of boots.

Ease of Use: Speedlaces are great, but can stick in mud they are very, very secure and convenient however.

Features: Stability and Speedlaces.  the speedlaces are kevlar and do not break with normal use.  I carry spare laces when walking in these shoes but never had to change them.

Construction and DurabilityAmazing durability - I get 2-3 years out ofthtis shoe.   My only criticism is it doesn't have boot like traction - more a function of a shallow sole than deficiency in the rubber.  The sole lugs are soft and can tear off when traversing rock slabs but for normal trail running they are durable.

The toe box has a rubber cap which works very well.

I have backpacked in Tasmania and Borneo in these shoes, run on road and off track, travelled in Asia, done Army physical name it. Excels in tough conditions.

This is a shoe that I will continue to buy. It is now the Wings Pro or Wings Flyte and when my current shoes start to get too worn for running this is what I will buy. There are better shoes for hiking but it comes close to a great hiking shoe. I have had a few Salomon shoes (XA Pro and Synapse) and also mix up my running with some less structured Merrells, but I will always have the Wings for its versatility, comfort, and stability.

And they look cool.

Thanks for the review of your XT Wings, Sean. What kind of distances do you like to run in these?

Sean, you mentioned this is your 4th pair. How much life do you get out of them?

Sean Parker

I probably get around 2 -3 years use out of them (with some crossover). I use them for running for about a year then they become hiking shoes then they become yard shoes. I bought my first pair in around 2007 when they were 'xt wings' and been using them ever since. they were the first shoe to really address a shin splints problem that I have. I generally go for 5-10 km runs three times a week and some walking and hiking in them.

Thanks, Sean.

Do you routinely run through the mud, rock gardens,…

Do you routinely run through the mud, rock gardens, or over roots? Then this shoe is for you! These are true to fit, have excellent protection and traction.

• Fit
  • Protection
  • Traction

• Weight

I strongly recommend these shoes for the following reasons. The sole plate is solid so those pointy rocks that you run on won't mess up your feet. The toe guard is perfect for when you stub your toe on a big rock or root. The tread is awesome and provides excellent traction in the mud, sandy soil or the aforementioned rock gardens.

It is true to size. It has ample room in the toe box giving you at least a decent chance at not getting the dreaded black toenails or worse.

The price is too high. I did take away one star because of the weight. Running a 50- or 100-miler in these would be a bit grim. But, for training, especially in the winter, these shoes are outstanding!

Salomon has proven once again why serious trail runners become loyal buyers of their products. Vive la France!!

Thanks for the review jwm. Can you post some pictures?

Salomon Men's XT Wings 3

The Salomon Men's XT Wings 3 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 4, 2016 at SunnySports.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review