Sanborn Canoe Co. Gunflint

Weight 19-20 oz
Blade Dimensions 8.5 x 18 in

The Gunflint looks great, is very comfortable in hand,…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Sanborn Canoe Co.)

Summary

The Gunflint looks great, is very comfortable in hand, and is really powerful. Goes out in the canoe every time I do.

Pros

• Fairly lightweight
  • Looks awesome
  • Comfortable hold
  • Tons of power

Cons

• Not an UL paddle

Full disclosure: I received my paddle from Sanborn as a gift for some photos I did for them, and I had also used them prior to that.

I have a Gunflint with the 14° bend from the blade to shaft. The weight is not ideal for an ultralighter, but it's still really comfortable, and definitely better than the cheaper paddles I've used. I really like the oiled grip. Seems to chafe less than a fully finished grip.

Seems pretty sturdy; I push off from rocks and so on with it without feeling nervous about it. It's not indestructible, but normal considerations have been enough for the few years I've had mine.

The paddle definitely has loads of power. I've paddled a few miles against the current in the Mississippi River by myself (with a wife and grouchy baby in the front of the canoe) and while it was extremely tiring, I still made a pretty good pace, and with the other budget paddles I've used previously, we definitely would have given up and gone back.

Mine is an unpainted paddle, but natural cedar looks great.

I've only had mine a couple years, and it has a few scratches and dings but overall is in great shape. No idea if it'll last another 5 years or 50 years, but so far so good.

Overall I love it. I can't compare it to other high end paddles out there, but compared to various plastic and cheaper wood paddles, it's blown them away.

Welcome to Trailspace, Peter. That is a sharp looking paddle. Thanks for reviewing it!

Inspired by the centuries old Gunflint Trail, right here in canoe country, our Gunflint model hearkens to days of yore. When cartographers still doodled sea monsters in the margins of their work and hard labor meant there would be food on the table. We believe there is still plenty of roll-up-your-sleeves work to be done.

Our Gunflint model certainly is a workhorse. With a wide blade and fourteen degree bend it is built to move a lot of water. So, if you seek to ply the water on those days when the wind seems to thwart you with every stroke, this is the paddle for you. 14 Degree Bent Shaft

• Avg. Weight: 19-20 oz
  • Blade Dimensions: 8.5" x 18"
  • Wood Type: Western Red Cedar & Aspen
  • Finish: Blade is Fiberglassed; Shaft and blade are epoxied and varnished; Grip is oiled
  • Durability: Wilderness Class I

Visit Sanborn Canoe Co.'s Gunflint page.

Sanborn Canoe Co. Gunflint

The Sanborn Canoe Co. Gunflint is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new canoe paddle, check out the best reviewed current models.