Sea to Summit Mat Repair Kit

Pleasantly surprised by this product. Needed to make…

Summary

Pleasantly surprised by this product.

Pros

• Works instantly
  • Easy to use, no thinking about it

Cons

• May or may not be waterproof, not sure just yet.

backpacking-002.jpg
Needed to make an emergency repair to my rain jacket a Marmot Oracle Jacket. Only thing the store had was this kit for sleeping pads. I had backed into a lantern and burned a quarter size hole in it dead center of my shoulder blades on a previous outing.

The kit came with four round 1 1/4-inch and four 2-inch square patches. What I did was put a square one on the inside of the jacket and a round one on the outside effectively glueing them together in case they didn’t hold to the jacket. Well, it did hold two days in heavy rain and cold on the trail. And I think it will probably last. And it saved a $200 rain jacket, because that hole is in about the worst spot you can get one on a rain jacket.

It remains to be seen if it's 100% waterproof, but it is a very good product in a pinch.

Thanks for the recommendation, John. I hope you'll keep us posted on how the patch holds up on your jacket. If you have any pictures of it, those would be helpful to see.

1 year ago