Sea to Summit Micro MC II

Max user height 6 ft 0 in / 185 cm 6 ft 8 in / 205 cm
Shoulder girth 57 in / 144 cm 59 in / 150 cm
Hip girth 50 in / 128 cm 53 in / 134 cm
Foot girth 35 in / 88 cm 37 in / 94 cm

2-3 season bag that's easy to pack and carry, and…

Price Paid: NOK 2 500 (ca 300 Euros)

Summary

2-3 season bag that's easy to pack and carry, and is very flexible in use, covering a huge range of above-freezing temperatures.

Pros

• Very light
  • Packs very small
  • Very flexible in use
  • Very good value for money
  • Covers a huge range of temperatures

Cons

• Like all lightweights: Treat it with care if you want it to last.

I used this bag in early 2013 on a 3-month cycling tour of Australia in summer/early autumn. I moved to a new location most days, so there was plenty of packing and unpacking. Conditions ranged from around +2°C (ground frost) at 1,000 m in Tasmania to + 30°C night temperatures at sea level in southern Queensland. I always use a Coolmax liner as it's much easier to wash a liner than a down bag. (I find silk liners to be too clammy.)

In the coldest temperatures I was snugly warm in a lightweight merino cycle top inside the liner and with the bag zip fully closed with hood up and foot end closed. A bit warmer, and I dispensed with the cycle top and hood. A bit warmer still, and I opened up the foot end. Even warmer, I only partially closed the side zip. Warmer still, I opened up the bag fully and spread it over the liner, like a quilt. At the warmest, I started off with liner only and dragged the quilt over me if I got chilly later on in the night.

I'm 1.78/80 kg and the regular size was fine for me. The full zip makes entry/exit very easy. Unlike earlier versions (judging from other reviews), my 2012 bag had a narrow but adequate draught-excluder inside the zip.

The bag is very light (approx 600 g in its compression bag) and can compress down to approx 2 litres if you really try. However, I usually stopped at between 4 and 3 litres because I found that the bag puffed up much quicker when not compressed to its limit. I had no prolonged periods of rain (lucky me!) so can't comment on moisture resistance.

The bag IS very light, and like all lightweight products you must exercise reasonable care if you want it to last. Having said that, I've now spent more than 100 nights in my bag and packed/unpacked it almost as many times - and it still looks and performs as new.

I can thoroughly recommend this bag if you want something that works well over a large temperature range down to near freezing. If your expected temperature range is a bit lower, or if you're a woman, then the slightly thicker MC III has exactly the same design and flexibility, and is a bit warmer.

I had forgotten how clever I thought this bag was.

Summary

I had forgotten how clever I thought this bag was.

Pros

• Functionality, you can use it in Patagonia and Ecuador
  • For a major supplier it is a very good offering
  • $$

Cons

• A targeted bag will be lighter and cheaper
  • Gear freak brands might be more suitable

It is meant to be light, so don't complain about what it lacks but they try to compensate in other ways. They have just tried to leave the essential bits.

The zipper baffle is stiffened just enough to stop it snagging.

It lacks a box foot to save weight... this allows you to open it completely like a quilt and vent the foot end of the bag but you may have to hitch the hole under you on truely cold nights.

The stylish black inner is I assume to allow the unfolded bag to warm in the sun the next morning to lose condensation.

The bags weights are printed inside with suggested temperature comfort zones. It came with a compression sack and a loose storage sack and even a sack designed to wash the bag in and drying loops in the right places. I am yet to find myself too hot or wet in it.

Yes, it is starting to look older and heavier (eg. the S2S Spark series are lighter and cheaper but might be hard to keep cool in).

It was expensive when released, but it is usually on a significant discount somewhere.

Hi Ben! I didn't understand your opening line, "I had forgotten how clever I thought this bag was." Can you elaborate? Thanks!

ben

They have spent a lot of time doing clever little things they didn't have to but people might appreciate like having a temperature range printed on the bag in case you forget rather than a ten gram label saying MSR or the such. The clever drawstring rather that the box foot gives flexibilty and less weight.....I just don't know about the price at present

Oh, cool! You can add thsi to your review (and add some pictures of these little things). Just click on the "Edit Review" button next to the date of your review.

Visit Sea to Summit's Micro MC II page.

Free Shipping. Sea to Summit Micro MCII Sleeping Bag FEATURES of the Sea to Summit Micro MCII Sleeping Bag Box quilted mummy convertible 2D NanoShell Ultra-Dry Down Differential cut shell Box quilted baffles 55/45 fill ratio Anti-snag along side zip Hood drawcord with dual adjustment YKK3 side zip Drawcord foot closure Large sized internal zip pocket Includes lightweight Ultra-Sil compression bag, mesh storage cell and laundry bag SPECIFICATIONS of the Sea to Summit Micro MCII Sleeping Bag Comfort: 45deg F / 7deg C Lower Limit: 36deg F / 2deg C Extreme: 9deg F / -13deg C Ultra-Dry Down 850+ Loft 90% Down Cluster Premium European Goose Down Season Rating: Indoor/Summer/Spring/Autumn Suggested Use: Ultra lightweight backpacking, travel, hiking, camping, cycle touring Compressed Volume: 4.53 liter Compression Bag: X-Small: 6 to 2 liter SPECIFICATIONS for Regular Fill Weight: 8.8 oz / 250 g Bag Weight: 1 lb 3 oz / 550 g Length / Zip Option: Right zip SPECIFICATIONS for Long Fill Weight: 9.7 oz / 275 g Bag Weight: 1 lb 6 oz / 625 g Length / Zip Option: Left zip

The Micro sleeping bag is Sea to Summit's lightest, fully-featured bags, filled with 850+ Loft European Goose ULTRA-DRY Down. These bags incorporate their 2D NanoShell providing the lightest, most breathable water resistant shell.

- CampSaver.com

The smallest, lightest sleeping bag from Sea To Summit, the featherweight and feather-stuffed--850+ fill to be precise--Micro McII Sleeping Bag 36 Degree Down provides lofty, three-season, ultra-portable warmth and weather protection. For treks, bike tours, or quick-and-dirty overnighters, this 36F-rated mummy will keep you dry with its Nano DWR coating and Ultra-Dry Down. Plus, the drawcord foot-opening frees your pinkies or converts the bag to a duvet.

Sea To Summit Micro MCII 36F 850 fill Down Sleeping BagThe Sea To Summit Micro MCII 36F 850 fill Down Sleeping Bag is all you need to sleep like a baby, no matter where you are. The shell of the bag is fashioned from a 2D Nano Shell which is designed to be the light, breathable, and water-resistant. It has a unique draw cord foot closure, which helps regulate temperatures effectively. Your sleeping bag can be easily converted to an open duvet to a box quilted mummy sleeping bag, which makes the product utilitarian while not compromising on esthetics. The anti snag feature alongside the zipper, ensures smooth and flawless usage. To tackle the problem of storage effectively, a lightweight Ultra-Sil compression bag has been included. The Sea To Summit Micro MCII 36F 850 fill Down Sleeping Bag is the ideal sleeping bag for any adventure.

- SunnySports