Sea to Summit Micro MC II

2-3 season bag that's easy to pack and carry, and…

Price Paid: NOK 2 500 (ca 300 Euros)

Summary

2-3 season bag that's easy to pack and carry, and is very flexible in use, covering a huge range of above-freezing temperatures.

Pros

• Very light
  • Packs very small
  • Very flexible in use
  • Very good value for money
  • Covers a huge range of temperatures

Cons

• Like all lightweights: Treat it with care if you want it to last.

I used this bag in early 2013 on a 3-month cycling tour of Australia in summer/early autumn. I moved to a new location most days, so there was plenty of packing and unpacking. Conditions ranged from around +2°C (ground frost) at 1,000 m in Tasmania to + 30°C night temperatures at sea level in southern Queensland. I always use a Coolmax liner as it's much easier to wash a liner than a down bag. (I find silk liners to be too clammy.)

In the coldest temperatures I was snugly warm in a lightweight merino cycle top inside the liner and with the bag zip fully closed with hood up and foot end closed. A bit warmer, and I dispensed with the cycle top and hood. A bit warmer still, and I opened up the foot end. Even warmer, I only partially closed the side zip. Warmer still, I opened up the bag fully and spread it over the liner, like a quilt. At the warmest, I started off with liner only and dragged the quilt over me if I got chilly later on in the night.

I'm 1.78/80 kg and the regular size was fine for me. The full zip makes entry/exit very easy. Unlike earlier versions (judging from other reviews), my 2012 bag had a narrow but adequate draught-excluder inside the zip.

The bag is very light (approx 600 g in its compression bag) and can compress down to approx 2 litres if you really try. However, I usually stopped at between 4 and 3 litres because I found that the bag puffed up much quicker when not compressed to its limit. I had no prolonged periods of rain (lucky me!) so can't comment on moisture resistance.

The bag IS very light, and like all lightweight products you must exercise reasonable care if you want it to last. Having said that, I've now spent more than 100 nights in my bag and packed/unpacked it almost as many times - and it still looks and performs as new.

I can thoroughly recommend this bag if you want something that works well over a large temperature range down to near freezing. If your expected temperature range is a bit lower, or if you're a woman, then the slightly thicker MC III has exactly the same design and flexibility, and is a bit warmer.

If you've owned or used a Sea to Summit Micro MC II, please share your experience.