Seirus Xtreme All Weather Glove

I bought these gloves in December 2011 because I liked…

I bought these gloves in December 2011 because I liked their snug fit. I like having as much dexterity as possible while wearing gloves.

They were advertised as "Windproof/Weatherproof" so I expected them to be at least as warm as my older OR Windstopper gloves, just with a snugger fit. The REI clerk at the checkout said "These are my favorite gloves!" so I figured I'd made a good choice.

I could not have been more wrong.

I was going to use them for the first time this coming Saturday on an 8 mile hike on the AT in central Maryland, temps to be in the mid-30's and probably some wind. But we got a few inches of snow overnight so I decided to wear them while shoveling. Temps were in the low 30s and it winds were around 15 mph, with still periods of 5 minutes or so. Within 10 minutes of starting to shovel, and having never actually touched any of the snow but only the wood handle of the shovel, my fingers were not just cold - they were painfully, as if I'd held them under the snow.

The pain finally became too much and I took them off and replaced them with my old OR Windstoppers. Took about 2 minutes for my fingers to regain their warmth and they stayed snug and warm and comfy for the next hour that I was out there shoveling and spreading salt.

The Seirus gloves are going back to REI tomorrow. They are completely worthless to me. I'll keep my OR gloves and maybe buy another pair of them as spares.

I did also post my thoughts about the Seirus gloves on a hiking forum and that was immediately followed by 10 more people stating the same problem with the gloves and how disappointed they were in them. Clearly I am not alone.

Visit Seirus's Men's Xtreme All Weather Glove page.

For softshell stretch and hardshell durability in all conditions, pull on the Seirus Xtreme All Weather Edge Glove. A waterproof, breathable, and windproof Dryhand membrane encased in durable nylon protects you from the elements. Abrasion-resistant PVC-reinforced palms and thumbs allow you to put the Xtreme through a beating without a second thought.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Lightweight and versatile, the Seirus Xtreme All Weather Gloves are warm, waterproof, windproof, and breathable with a wicking fleece lining. A super comfortable all-weather stretch glove; ideal for skiing, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing.

- EMS refers to the men's version

The Seirus Xtreme All Weather(TM) Edge gloves are 100% waterproof and insulated with Thinsulate polyester to keep your hands dry and warm on winter outings. Xtreme waterproof, breathable inserts keep your hands dry on winter adventures. 100g Thinsulate(R) insulation keeps your hands toasty while you ski and hike. Grab hold of your ski poles with the grippy leather palms. Rip-and-stick cuffs seal in warmth. The Seirus Xtreme All Weather(TM) Edge gloves have a form-fitting design that allows for great dexterity.

- REI refers to the men's version

The Seirus Xtreme All Weather Gloves feature Pro-Fit - the first form-fit waterproof/breathable liner. These 100% waterproof, breathable gloves are as warm as a standard ski glove, but without the bulk.Pro-Fit - The first form-fitting waterproof/breathable liner.Durable 4-way stretch softshell outer.Seam-sealed wind/waterproof/breathable liner.Wicking micro fleece inner lining.SoftGrip palm patch and fingers.Comfortable weather sealing Neofleece cuff.As warm as a insulated glove.

- Campmor refers to the men's version