Sherpa Adventure Gear Trimurti Modus Jacket

I have to say I am sold on the whole brand. I was…

Fabric: Waterproof / Breathable 3-layer
Fill: Primaloft One

I have to say I am sold on the whole brand. I was in Nepal to go trekking and my luggage (with my expensive North Face shell and my expensive Patagonia Micropuff jacket) was lost by the airlines.

I got a recommendation to stop by Sherpa Adventure Gear's new Kathmandu store. I met with Tashi Sherpa, the founder of the company, and we talked through replacing the jackets. I settled on the Trimurti Modus 3-in-1, and I have never looked back.

The jacket consists of a water/wind proof breathable shell and a wind resistant Primaloft One insulation layer. The shell has all the bells and whistles expected of a high-end jacket: waterproof (20,000 mmm), breathable, seam sealed, sealed zippers, heat reflective interior, pit zips, removable hood, and drawstrings and velcro in all the correct places.

The insulation layer attaches via snaps in the sleeves and the neck, but I usually just wear them as two separate jackets. The insulation is Primaloft One, which is what the Patagonia Micropuff has as its insulation. It is warm, even when wet. It also has a DWR treated, wind-resistant outer.

Overall, I think this brand is top-notch, and every attention to detail is made. The jacket performed well at 18,000 feet through sun, snow, and rain. Note that this is not a replacement for a full down jacket, which is what I used in camp, but for trekking in 20F (-7 C) (or much colder) temps, it is perfect.

Also note, the shell is not GoreTex, if that matters. According to Tashi, it is a state-of-the-art Japanese fabric, that is water and wind proof, while remaining breathable. According to the company, when I wrote them, they said, "the shell fabric is a 3 layer 93% Nylon/7% Spandex Ripstop fabric. The fabric itself is 20,000/20,000 waterproof/breathability. The fabric is from Japan and uses a proprietary laminate."

For the price, I think this jacket is a no-brainer, as it performs to the same level as jacket systems costing twice as much. Also, the zipper pulls and snaps are designed as Buddhist prayer flags, which is a nice touch.

Trimurti is defined as the Hindu belief that God has three aspects, or faces. Which makes it the perfect name for this 3 in 1 jacket by Sherpa. Wear just the soft, windproof inner jacket for dry but windy days; just the 3-layer, wind and waterproof outer shell for wet yet warm days; or both on those days when cold winds and wet storms whip through the mountains.

- CampSaver.com

Sherpa Adventure Gear Trimurti Modus Jacket

The Trimurti Modus Jacket has been discontinued. It last appeared in Sherpa Adventure Gear's Fall 2011 product line.

The Sherpa Adventure Gear Trimurti Modus Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new component (3-in-1) jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.