Shred Ready Shaggy Helmet

A little about me first. I'm 6'0, weigh 248 lbs. and…

A little about me first. I'm 6'0, weigh 248 lbs. and am a rather large guy. I enjoy kayaking, self-contained kayak trips, hiking, camping, self-contained hiking trips, etc. I'm not a pro, by any means, but I'm on a trip at least once a month and have been kayaking steady for 3 to 4 years.

I did quite a bit of research when looking for a helmet. I looked for the significance between plastic, carbon fiber, fiberglass, and even Kevlar. I read some blogs from people who have hit their heads and have severely damaged their helmets, but said that if it weren't for the Kevlar type helmet, they would have been injured far worse. I didn't want to put a price on the safety of my brain, but only had $150 to spend for a good, durable, helmet.

I did a lot of searching and decided on the Shred Ready Super Scrappy, which was plastic, and the Shred Ready Shaggy, which is fiberglass and "Shredlar (armid fiber) impregnated with Marine vinylester resins. I decided against plastic and went for the Shaggy.

The helmet fits snug, considering I have a rather large head (23.5") which is good. The helmet came in a carrying bag with 3 adjustment foam fittings, small, medium and large, and ear flaps to cover and protect your ears as well as keep them warm. The helmet has the H.O.G. (Hand of God) retention system, which is comfortable and keeps your lid on and helps to make the helmet reversible.

t350_338c49cd1424af087158a16b1e99a7a7.jp

Performance: I've used this helmet on approximately 10 kayaking trips to date, of which, one of them I took a nasty spill on. I did hit my head on rocks, and aside from scratching and dinging the helmet, it remained intact. I've also recently used this helmet on a caving trip which took 3 hours to complete. The helmet was very comfortable and saved myself some bruises, and cuts many times.

So let me get straight to the pro's and con's of this helmet to sum this up.

Pro's: Comfortable Fit, Strong/Durable Materials, H.O.G. Retention system keep the lid on tight, reversible.

Con's: No Ventilation (which only cost it quarter of a star in my opinion), and the carrying bag is cheaply made as the zipper broke the day I received it (which cost this helmet the quarter of a star).

The only real problem that I have with the helmet is that there is no ventilation and on some real hot days, your head starts to sweat quite a bit. That isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, as I just take the lid off, scoop some water into it and then strap it back onto my head to cool off some.

In the end, this was a great purchase, and the fact that I got it for almost half off the price of other retailers made it that much sweeter of a deal. So, if you're looking for a helmet for canoeing/kayaking that will get the job done, keep your brain intact, and is comfortable to keep on your head for hours at a time, I suggest you look into the Shred Ready Shaggy.

The Shred Ready Shaggy hard-shell composite helmet is a fiberglass and Shredlar fiber that has been induced with marine vinylester resins to make a super durable, safe helmet for kayaking big water or steep creeks. Designed with added volume to allow those with lots of hair or larger heads to fit easily and comfortably, and a four point retention system is put into place to give you the ability to wear this helmet forwards or backwards on your head. On the inside, a multi-impact VN foam liner is laminated to closed cell comfort foam to ensure that anywhere you knock your head, you are protected. With a small bill and smooth, round lines, the Shaggy is clean and super stylish.

- RockCreek

Bomber, lightweight protection, great fit, and a healthy does of attitude make up the Shred Ready Shaggy Kayak Helmet. With an armid fiber and fiberglass shell and multi-impact, closed-cell foam liner, you'll rip those rapids knowing your head has serious shelter. And the single size with ultra-push pads to find your perfect fit gives you plenty of options and versatility: maybe you want to wear a hood or hat or let your buddy try it out. Plus, this brimmed bucket has a four-point retention system that allows it to be worn backward or forward, so you never look like a greenhorn but always stylie.

Shred Ready Shaggy Whitewater Kayak Helmet - The Shaggy kayak helmet is a classic kayaking helmet with smooth, round lines. Designed to fit larger craniums and heads with more hair, it can be worn with the bill facing forward or back. The shell is a Shredlar/fiberglass construction impregnated with marine vinylester resins. The liner is a multiple impact VN foam liner laminated to closed-cell comfort foam. Interchangeable compression molded closed-cell foam fitting pads with super plush material hook to the liner for a custom fit. The Hand Of God (H.O.G.) Lock Retention System fits behind the nape of the neck to further minimize helmet movement. Micro adjusting ratchets tighten monofilament lines for the perfect positive fit. Ratchets and anchors are attached to a coated PVC harness lamented and stitched to closed cell foam. Stainless steel rivets anchor the four-point retention system with nylon webbing. Contoured Duraflex side release buckle meets ASTM helmet standards. The Shred Ready Shaggy whitewater kayak helmet offers all the style and protection a composite helmets needs.

- Outdoorplay

Shred Ready Shaggy HelmetClassic billed helmet with smooth, round lines. We added volume to the Vixen and took out the ridge. The added volume increased the size to fit those with more hair and larger craniums. A four-point retention system so the helmet can be worn forwards or backwards. Good for Kayaking, Wakeboarding, and Kiteboarding.FeaturesFiberglass and Shredlar (armid fiber) impregnatned with marine vinylester resins.Certified CE 1385 international standard for headgear for whitewater sports.Multi-Impact VN foam liner laminated to closed-cell comfort foam.H.O.G Lock Retention System - fits behind nape of neck for secure custom fit.Interchangeable compression molded closed-cell foam fitting pads with super plush material that hooks to liner.Small, Medium and Large fitting pads are included with each helmet.Removable compression molded ear fl

- River Sports Outfitters

Even if you've never solved a crime or caught a semi-ghostly villain in your life, you'll want the Shaggy helmet from Shred Ready for all of your whitewater pursuits. Protect your cranium in fiberglass and Shredlar construction padded with closed-cell comfort foam that will leave you unafraid - so you'll never be left yelling for dogs named Scooby or otherwise.

- Mountain Gear