Sierra Designs Cochise 15

Not warm enough! Sierra Designs has been around a…

Design: Mummy
Fill: Polarguard delta
Temperature Rating: 15 degrees F
Weight: 3 lb 1 oz

Not warm enough! Sierra Designs has been around a long time so I decided to give their synthetic bags a try. (I have an old North Face goose down bag from 1973 that is rated for 0 degrees F which I actually slept in on a night that was 12 degrees F. I was comfortable enough) Fast forward to this summer up at Truckee 7000 ft. elevation and I slept in a Sierra Design Cochise regular bag rated at 15 degrees F. with an outside temperature of 35-40 degrees F. I WAS COLD!!!

Don't know how they rate bags these days. Maybe you have to sleep with a liner and long underwear and eat some food before bed time. All I know is I was cold. This bag might be better for a warmer climate but not 15 degrees as it is rated.

I just tried this bag again in my backyard with a brand new MSR Mutha Hubba 3-man tent, a new REI lite core sleeping 1.5" self inflating sleeping pad, and a Cool max sleeping bag liner that is suppose to add up to 8 degrees of warmth. I also ate some cashews and chocolate 30 minutes before bedtime. I was cold and the temperature was only 44 degrees in the tent at 2:30 a.m. before I put on a wool hat, wool socks, Patagonia lightweight silk long underwear tops and bottoms. At 5:30 a.m. it was 42 degrees in the tent, I was still a little cold and decided to go back into the house.

This bag is designed well enough just not enough fill and loft to rate it as 15 degrees. I measured the loft to be only 4 inches and I have been storing the bag in my closet unstuffed. After reading the customer reviews of the bags that have the Polarguard Delta I have serious reservations about their longevity.

Sierra Designs Cochise 15

The Cochise 15 has been discontinued.

The Sierra Designs Cochise 15 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 15, 2010 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new 3-season synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.