Sierra Designs Omni Jacket

Cold weather bomber jacket. Outstanding construction…

Price Paid: $110 US on sale

Summary

Cold weather bomber jacket. Outstanding construction means it's high quality and waterproof. It's as good as (if not better than) many of the higher priced softshells out there.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Warm
  • Breathable
  • Fully taped seams
  • Pit zips
  • Windproof

Cons

• Fleece lining grabs almost anything you have on
  • Exterior zippered chest pocket sits directly on top of the zippered interior pocket

I already have a Sierra Designs Vapor Hoody (unlined) that's nearly indestructable and totally waterproof but I was looking for something a little warmer and and needed pit zips for added ventilation. Based on my experience with the Vapor, I decided to try the Omni.

First, the construction on this bomber jacket is outstanding. Rather than taped seams, Sierra Designs uses welded seams that are completely waterproof and stand up well to abuse. I fell while snowshoeing last week and slid down the trunk of a pine tree without leaving so much as a mark on the shell.

The jacket is also very breathable with a two way zipper and pit zips, adjustable rip and stick cuffs allow for any glove, drawcords on the hood and hem allow you to dial in warmth (the hood easily accommodates a helmet), and exterior and interior pockets offer lots of storage.

I ordered a size Medium with the hope it wouldn't be too small to accommodate a base and midlayer and I couldn't be happier with the fit. The shell is stretchable and super comfortable for all levels of activity.

There are two minor drawback I can live with;

1. When putting the jacket on, the fleece lining grabs almost anything you're wearing as a base or mid layer, and
  2. The external zippered chest pocket sits directly on top of the internal zippered gear pocket — if you've got stuff in both pockets, plan on some major bulk. When the fleece lining finally starts to pill, the issue with the lining hanging up on anything underneath disappears.

Overall, this is a terrific jacket! It's warm, comfortable, and almost bulletproof and best of all, it'll cost you a whole lot less than many other softshells out there.

Just purchased the jacket on sale at sierratradingpost.com.

Fabric: Nylon and 2 types of fleece

Just purchased the jacket on sale at sierratradingpost.com. When I received the jacket, I was very surprised with the quality and overall workmanship! Lots of pockets. Jacket has three different types of materials, as mentioned in description. My only complaint, sleeves for a 2XL are a tad too long for me. Looking forward to wearing the jacket for long hikes and even for causal outings!

I bought it at sierratradingpost.com (it was a great…

Fabric: Sierra Designs proprietary soft shell fabric, waterproof as everything though.

I bought it at sierratradingpost.com (it was a great deal). It's proven very warm and comfortable, I like it a lot. When I need a bombshelter of a jacket I grab it. Very well constructed and wouldn't hesitate to crawl through the mud and muck in it then get hosed off, it's just one darn good jacket.

If you've owned or used a Sierra Designs Omni Jacket, please share your experience.

Sierra Designs Omni Jacket

The Omni Jacket has been discontinued.

The Sierra Designs Omni Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 11, 2008 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.