Sierra Designs Origami 2 UL

Price I paid included Free UPS delivery. I am somewhat…

Design: teepee tarp
Ease of Setup: easy after practice
Weight: 2 lbs plus

Price I paid included Free UPS delivery.

I am somewhat disappointed with the Origami 2. For all the square footage it covers the outer edges are very low and essentially unusable. The five required stakes also have to be in the just the right spots to apply even tension on the 5 panels.

BUT; it is light. No poles other than the hiking pole I carry anyway.

I can pitch it in a downpour and just crawl under it, unlike soaking the tent body before I get a fly up.

This tarp can be suspended from a tripod of 7 ft sticks or a guy line between two trees, freeing internal space.

I will probably buy the fitted ground sheet at some point, if only to keep my toes from slipping out from under the canopy and into the rain and not having to spend so much time inspecting possible runoff paths prior to setup.

I have not tried it in high wind or snow, yet.

If you've owned or used a Sierra Designs Origami 2 UL, please share your experience.

Sierra Designs Origami 2 UL

The Origami 2 UL has been discontinued. It last appeared in Sierra Designs's 2010 product line.

The Sierra Designs Origami 2 UL is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 13, 2011 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new tarp/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.

Trail Weight 1 lb 14 oz