Sierra Designs Thor

This was my first down bag and I immediately fell…

Design: left zip mummy

This was my first down bag and I immediately fell in love with it. For a quite reasonably priced down bag it packs down small and is quite waterproof. I have slept out on the beach and woken up with condensation literally dripping off the bag, but the down stayed perfectly dry. It also withstood high condensation and seepage after a 3-people in a 2-person backpacking tent during a torrential downpour night, in which there was water beginning to pool on the floor and I ended up pressed up against the tent wall.

I have not slept down to zero in this bag by itself. I did get chilly one night when it was about 12, however I had spent the entire day mildly hypothermic and wet, and never really warmed up properly. I feel like this bag would normally keep me warm much closer to zero. It is also spacious enough to sleep with clothing and boots in the bag, if necessary.

Recently I spent the night out in -15 degree weather by stuffing my 15 degree bag inside of this one. While not for the claustrophobic, this bag was just roomy enough to fit my other down bag inside.

I have yet to test this bag on below freezing nights.

Design: mummy
Temperature Rating: 0 degree F

I have yet to test this bag on below freezing nights. However, as a very cold sleeper, I have used this bag without a tent on 40 degree nights and have been really cozy and warm. Plus, the waterproofing did an excellent job repelling the morning dew. While you do gain some weight and lose some compressibility as compared to regular down bags, you lose the fear of getting it wet and rendering it useless. I am a fan.

Sierra Designs Thor

The Thor has been discontinued.

The Sierra Designs Thor is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 29, 2006 at Sierra Trading Post.