Sierra Designs Vapor Light 1

Pole Type DAC NSL
Floor Material 40D Nylon, 3000 mm
Body Material 20D Nylon
Fly Material 40D Nylon, 1500 mm

Overall, very easy to set up, packs up light and takes…

Overall, very easy to set up, packs up light and takes up little space.  Footprint, poles, and fly clip and lock into place and stay secure.

Only criticism is the small size of tent and vestibule, but it is a one-man tent so that is to be expected. Vestibule barely contained my pack and boots; would have been an issue in rainy weather.

I have grown to love my Vaporlight. It started out…

Source: bought it used

Summary

I have grown to love my Vaporlight. It started out a little tighter than I was used to but it has enough room to sit up in to change and take out my contact lenses.

Pros

• Light
  • Packs down well
  • Fast pitch
  • Intelligent design
  • Self-supporting

Cons

• Tight
  • Short
  • Weak seam tape

DSCN1536.jpg

DSCN1342.jpg

When I bought this tent and it was handed over to me I thought the fella forgot a few parts; it's super light. I love that it is self supporting since I often pitch on rock and can't stake down. Takes very little space in my pack. It's small but I don't mind the trade when on long hikes or climbing cliffs to get to my site.

Set up: Like most newer SD models, setting up is a breeze and it's actually enjoyable.

Stability: Not very stable in high winds unless pitched like an arrow into the wind. Has only limited guy lines that add little stability.

Weather resistance: The seam tape actually flaked off like sunburned skin and made a mess everywhere. I seam sealed but because there was all kinds of loose stuff left, the seam seal didn't take well. I even scrubbed the old stuff with a toothbrush for 20 min trying to get the old debris off but to little avail. Now my seams are coming loose again. Argh!

Ventilation: Fine

Room and storage: Tight  fit, head touches, I'm 5'11". Barely room to turn on my side. One small storage pocket. Vestibule is decent but my 85 liter pack peeks out from underneath a bit.

Packability: Great

Ease of use: Supe easy to set up take down (has the patented Jake's feet which makes it a breeze)

Construction and durability: Won't last forever but it's great while it's around

I've used this for a year now and it's great!

Lightweight, freestanding tent with sturdy poles;…

Summary

Lightweight, freestanding tent with sturdy poles; quick setup; a tight space for one, but useful for small spaces in the woods. I love that the top of the tent is all mesh—great view into the sky when the rain fly is off.

• Freestanding

Cons

• Door is at head of tent (instead of along the side)
  • Tight quarters

This will work well for me as a supplemental tent for when I'm solo on a bikepacking trip where light weight and small size is essential. Poles seem very durable and I like the Jake's Foot pole connection design. I'm not sure about longterm durability, but it seems very durable.

Lightweight, spacious, free standing. Need I say more?

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Sierra Designs)

Summary

Lightweight, spacious, free standing. Need I say more? This tent is so easy to set up, you don't even need instructions!

• Easy to use
  • Spacious

Cons

• Tent stakes could be lighter

The only thing I would change about this tent are the stakes that come with it. Besides that, this tent was made in heaven.

I will be using this tent during the PCT thru hike. I know I won't be disappointed since SD always makes wonderful products!

Sierra Designs Vapor Light 1

The Sierra Designs Vapor Light 1 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 17, 2015 at REI.

If you're looking for a new 3-4 season convertible tent, check out the best reviewed current models.