Simond Spider Screwgate

Lightweight, excellent screwgate locker that has a…

Lightweight, excellent screwgate locker that has a perfectly shaped nose to make clipping extremely easy. The best locking beiner for personal anchor systems at the top of a long difficult route.

• Nose angle (more open with respect to the spine)
  • Fairly light (medium diameter)
  • Great locking mechanism
  • Metal spring mechanism
  • Smooth nose edge

• Sacrifice strength for weight and ease of clipping

This carabiner is the best I have used to attach a personal anchor system at the top of a route. The nose is shaped in a way that it is quite open (bent out) compared to other screwgate lockers, so clipping is extremely easy. The diameter of the carabiner is around  a medium sized thickness. Since the body of the carabiner is round and not an I-beam construction you do lose some strength, but the diameter is great if you have to clip multiple pieces of gear onto a single anchor. The carabiner is fairly light for a screwgate locker so you barely even feel it on your harness.

One of the most important factors to me when selecting a carabiner is the spring mechanism. A lot of carabiner manufacturers are using plastic spring mechanisms. I do not like this as I have heard of the spring mechanisms becoming brittle in cold weather. The Simond Spider Screwgate uses a metal spring, this is preferred as a metal spring I believe is more durable.

I have used this carabiner for personal anchor systems in the Canadian Rockies on single pitch sport climbing routes.

Simond Spider Screwgate

The Simond Spider Screwgate is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 16, 2008 at

If you're looking for a new locking carabiner, check out the best reviewed current models.